Questions that need answers

CFBrown

I found my first acceptance letter from Syracuse yesterday (in my spam folder)! Even though it's my fourth choice, I don't want to rule them out just yet. Problem is, I'm not expected to hear from my other top schools until around mid-April - around the same time Syracuse wants their confirmation deposit. So my questions are:

1. Should I take a visit to Syracuse for one of their preview days?
  2. Is there any harm in asking my other schools to provide me with decisions earlier?

Why can't you visit Syracuse anyway? Maybe you'll really enjoy the atmosphere while you are there. I don't think you'll have much luck getting other schools to provide with decisions earlier (unless PR programs are more flexible), but maybe Syracuse could extend their deadline a week if you explained the circumstances?

Why can't you visit Syracuse anyway? Maybe you'll really enjoy the atmosphere while you are there. I don't think you'll have much luck getting other schools to provide with decisions earlier (unless PR programs are more flexible), but maybe Syracuse could extend their deadline a week if you explained the circumstances?

I agree with babybird. Go on the visit. By then you might have heard back from other schools (or not), but at least you will be able to have more information on Syracuse. That might help with your decision. 

Yea, you both are kinda right. There'd be no harm in taking a visit, and I like traveling anyway. Only thing I'd have to make sure of is having the money to do so...

I found my first acceptance letter from Syracuse yesterday (in my spam folder)! Even though it's my fourth choice, I don't want to rule them out just yet. Problem is, I'm not expected to hear from my other top schools until around mid-April - around the same time Syracuse wants their confirmation deposit. So my questions are:

1. Should I take a visit to Syracuse for one of their preview days?
  2. Is there any harm in asking my other schools to provide me with decisions earlier?

I was encouraged to contact schools from whom I had not heard back (but from whom I wanted to) once I received offers.

E.g., "Dear Graduate Director, I was wondering if the admissions committee has already made their offers for (program)? I have already heard back from a few programs, but I was really hoping to hear back from (your program) before making my decision"

I was unsure about it, but since there were two schools from whom I was really hoping to hear, I gave it a shot and received very helpful advice in return (one waitlist response, one response that the committee had not yet met).

Good luck!

I was encouraged to contact schools from whom I had not heard back (but from whom I wanted to) once I received offers.

E.g., "Dear Graduate Director, I was wondering if the admissions committee has already made their offers for (program)? I have already heard back from a few programs, but I was really hoping to hear back from (your program) before making my decision"

I was unsure about it, but since there were two schools from whom I was really hoping to hear, I gave it a shot and received very helpful advice in return (one waitlist response, one response that the committee had not yet met).

Good luck!

That's helpful, too. I almost want to wait until I find out what my financial aid will be like at Syracuse before I even consider declining the offer or contacting other schools regarding their decision. Even though it's still a stretch that I'll end up going there, maybe the financial aid offer will be better than what I get offered elsewhere.