If you majored in comparative literature why were you interested in it?

I'm hard and fast a literature student, and I was in English studies all the way through my BAs. But I was never convinced that the "national literatures" model that pervades academia was the correct way to be reading literature, especially for the things I'm researching. So I went to Italian for a while, and then I switched to French. By the time I added Japanese, I realized that the only way to avoid the national literatures model was to do comparative literature. 

I will be attending  complit PhD program in the fall, but I didn't major in complit as an undergrad. I always loved literature and took many literature courses, but I also loved philosophy and theory. I was heavily influenced by French theory as an undergrad. I knew my favorite thinkers weren't studied in philosophy, and I had a strong distaste for the type of work done in many philosophy departments. However, I also didn't want a strictly literature (or strictly English literature) program. My interests were more about how literature did philosophy, or how philosophy took on literature (to be broad). I also really appreciate and enjoy languages. So complit always seemed like the most logical place for me.  

Edited by Appppplication