Weill Cornell vs. Columbia

Chrischigta

Hey guys,

so, I am sure that I want to go to NYC for my PhD and already got offered admission by Weill Cornell BCMB. I really liked the program and the atmosphere at Weill Cornell and so I was quite sure that I would go there. However, I interviewed for Columbia Medical Center Integrated Program in Cellular, Molecular and Biomedical Sciences as well and think I did quite a good job during the interviews. I did not get offered admission there so far, but I know that they are doing it on a rolling basis and I also know, that I could boost my chances by stating that they are my top choice school. I obviously only want to do that if I am sure that I want to attend. So now I have to decide, which of the two really is my priority...

At Columbia I felt a little less of a "community spirit" compared to Weill Cornell and funding for internationals seemed also to be more of an issue there compared to Cornell. Researchwise, I am sure that I would find tons of interesting labs at both places. The only thing I am worried about right now is, that if I accept Weill Cornell's offer that I would "let go the chance to go to Columbia".. I guess I am just afraid that Columbia might be the better choice career-wise, but I don't know if this is really true. People talk a lot about that you should go to the place where you have the best gut feeling, the best fit. But Isn't it also important to consider, where you have the best chance to publish in a decent paper? And will paper look differently at you PhD when you got it from Columbia compared to when you get it from Weill Cornell? Does reputation really matter at that point? And is there really such a difference in reputation between Columbia an Weill Cornell? Maybe some people from NYC can comment on that..

I hope you more or less get what I mean. Would appreciate any input. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get your decision yet from Columbia? I am still waiting. And I don't think there would be any bias towards any institution when it comes to publication.

Yup, I received a rejection last week. However, that was when I already made up my mind and decided that I will accept the offer by Weill Cornell ;) I will officially accept today or tomorrow probably

Yup, I received a rejection last week. However, that was when I already made up my mind and decided that I will accept the offer by Weill Cornell ;) I will officially accept today or tomorrow probably

Congratulations. Great to hear you are going to your desired place. I am still waiting for Columbia. Cambridge decision is depending on the Gates Cambridge interview. But since I live in NYC, Columbia would have a heavy preference from me.

Congratulations. Great to hear you are going to your desired place. I am still waiting for Columbia. Cambridge decision is depending on the Gates Cambridge interview. But since I live in NYC, Columbia would have a heavy preference from me.

Thanks, I am really happy with my choice and that I know where I will be going this Fall :) I am hoping for the best for you - obviously Columbia would be great if you're wishing to stay in NYC.