UCSD IRPS - 2015 Thread

Hi guys,

I am interested in doing the MIA course (Formerly MPIA) at UCSD and am looking at International development as my concentration along with South East Asia as my regional specialization. Could anyone tell me if the language requirement is a must in order to apply for a particular region? I only speak Hindi and English fluently and none of the other languages which were mentioned on the website (Vietnamese, Japansese, etc). Please let me know if anyone has any information on this? Also if someone could advise on some other good international development programs it would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance for your help :)

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I am interested in doing the MIA course (Formerly MPIA) at UCSD and am looking at International development as my concentration along with South East Asia as my regional specialization. Could anyone tell me if the language requirement is a must in order to apply for a particular region? I only speak Hindi and English fluently and none of the other languages which were mentioned on the website (Vietnamese, Japansese, etc). Please let me know if anyone has any information on this? Also if someone could advise on some other good international development programs it would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hey there!  I was admitted but deferred enrollment until 2016.  I don't think will hurt you.   I was admitted with only first year completion of Mandarin and a semester of Thai, but made it clear in my application that I was going to try and test for Burmese before graduating.  I did give them a detailed explanation of how I plan to meet the language requirement somewhere in the application so that may help.  

Which language did you plan to test out for?  Be forewarned..for Southeast Asia track they only offer Indonesian and Mandarin coursework, so if you wish to learn another language you will have to learn it on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there!  I was admitted but deferred enrollment until 2016.  I don't think will hurt you.   I was admitted with only first year completion of Mandarin and a semester of Thai, but made it clear in my application that I was going to try and test for Burmese before graduating.  I did give them a detailed explanation of how I plan to meet the language requirement somewhere in the application so that may help.  

Which language did you plan to test out for?  Be forewarned..for Southeast Asia track they only offer Indonesian and Mandarin coursework, so if you wish to learn another language you will have to learn it on your own.

Hey thanks a lot for your reply :)

Oh I haven't really thought about the language part! Do I need to mention which language I would be interested in testing out for in my application? 

Also your stats are pretty impressive! Just wanted to know what do you think of my credentials?

Undergrad GPA & Institution: 74% from a top undergraduate university in New Delhi (Haven't calculated my official GPA). Have studied Economics (Hons). Got high scores in Mathematical Economics, Economics and Development Economics. Graduated in 2014.

GRE Scores: Verbal 158  Quant 162  AW 3.5 

Credentials: Have worked at a hedge fund for a year and am currently pursuing a course in Economics from the University of London international programs. I am simultaneously interning with a top Indian think tank, Center for Policy Research in New Delhi. I have also done a couple of internships namely at a micro-finance company and  a steel company during my undergrad. Apart from that have lots of social work experience such as teaching under-privileged kids, heading a society for the blind, amongst others.

I am a little apprehensive about my chances and if I should even apply considering  such brilliant people apply with a good amount of work experience! Just wanted to know if you think I need to build up my profile more or I should give it a shot ?

Thanks again!

Hi guys,

Howdy again! 

You won't need to detail which language you plan to use to fulfill the requirement.  However, I think you do need to show your proficiency in one of those Southeast Asian languages by the time you graduate to meet the regional requirement.  You may be able to work with the admissions office to see if your current language proficiency can be used instead.  It wouldn't hurt to try!

Looking at your background, I think you would be a competitive applicant if you received above average marks in your undergraduate studies.  Go for it!