Johns Hopkins Fall 2015

madbiochemist

Hi all!

I didn't see a Hopkins thread for next fall, so I figured I'd start one! I'm starting in the BME Ph.D. program in the fall and 

1. Wanted to know how excited you guys are to move out to Baltimore

2. Wanted to know if any of you are starting during the summer (I'm considering it)

3. Wanted to know how you're finding housing

I'm thinking about popping over there for a few days to check out some options and then looking at buying a house the next year. 

Congrats to everyone who got in and I'm so excited to meet all of you (or see you again)!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear people, please  let JHU know asap if you decided to go elsewhere, or know that you will not go here. I am on alternate list, and have already let all other schools except one know that I will not be going. Have to make decision this weekend.

Thanks! :-)

Edited by dmarm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi madbiochemist! 

I'm so glad I've found this thread! It seems very difficult to find other entering PhD students at JHU. I'm starting the PhD program in computer science there in fall. I visited a couple weeks ago so I got a chance to look around a little. Baltimore doesn't seem so bad -- definitely better than the reputation it has, and the JHU campus is gorgeous. Of course moving can be kind of tedious... But I'm excited!

Re: summer, I have a job here in the bay so I'm going to be showing up in August... But I would also be curious to know how many PhD students are planning on moving to Baltimore earlier. I had a chance to talk to a lot of the faculty and students there and I got a lot of recommendations for areas to live in, things to do, etc. -- also, I spent a weekend trucking around the city to check out the various neighborhoods. I'd be happy to share notes! As far as actually finding housing, it seems like the go-to resource will probably be craigslist (as usual). I was hoping JHU would have some ways to connect with other students as far as housing situations goes but so far I haven't found anything. Definitely let me know if you have any other ideas.

In the meantime, I've created this FB group for Fall 2015 incoming PhD students: https://www.facebook.com/groups/988481864517802/. Feel free to join -- I'm hoping it'll at least provide an opportunity for students to share ideas and get to know each other a little before the semester starts. 

Edited by benjpianist

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda bummer that you're all PhD students - it's been impossible to track down any entering Masters' students on this forum. I'll be attending Carey for Finance (MSF)!