How are courses structured, and how can I prepare now to be successful in the fall?

I will likely be attending the Elliott School of International Affairs this fall. I have a large appetite to learn (that's why I'm going back to school, after all), but I don't have a lot of background knowledge in international affairs. I come from an engineering background and am trying to change my career path.

Are there any suggestions on good reading materials or online lectures to help me build a knowledge base? I would like to start broad, as I have already done a bit of reading in my intended concentration. Specifically, anything that summarizes US foreign relations / policy over the last 60 years or so would be great. Anything else that you really enjoyed is also welcomed!

While we're at it, what can I expect from the classes? I'm guessing they will be largely seminar based, with lots of readings and discussions. About how much reading/writing is assigned each week? Are there generally exams or just term papers?

Though I'm not positive it's the right approach, I've been reading a selection of books from the following two lists: http://www.ypfp.org/top_10_foreign_policy_booksand http://foreignpolicy.com/2009/04/09/my-top-ten-books-every-student-of-international-relations-should-read/. None I've encountered so far could really be called an overview of U.S. foreign policy, which is something I would also like to read, but all have been relatively interesting.

I'd also be very interested in hearing what to expect from classes in terms of reading, essays, and exams, if anyone happens to have some insight.

Walter Russell Mead's book - Special Providence is a really good read, worth checking out.  Gives a decent overview of American foreign policy over the course of history.

I definitely agree with Atlas445, Walter Russell Mead's book is definitely a good foundation read. I would also include Samuel Huntington's work in the must read list, which includes his highly debate work "The Clash of Civilizations". Also look for Graham Allison's work.

I really appreiate this thread. I'm also attending Elliott and the next part of my 'to do list' is to search for general graduate school surivival books along with books within my field...I'm prepping myself up as soon as my summer vacation starts.

If you want, I can send you some syllabuses/syllabi from my classes this spring and last fall, they are all IR related and are courses that are considered foundation knowledge in IR in my opinion. The syllabuses contains readings from books and articles that can either be found on amazon or online. PM me if you want a copy.

Edited by Secumax852

My advice, read fiction or anything other than what you will study, because this will be the last chance for awhile where you do not have to read stuff related to what you will be studying, and you will be fine anyways.