BA in Linguistics, looking to get a masters in SLP. Do I have a decent chance?

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some advice in regards to what I can do to improve my chances of getting in to a SLP program.

I majored in Linguistics, where I did a semester of research for a joint Psychology/Linguistics lab. I have a 3.48 GPA, and my GRE scores are 164 verbal/ 155 quant. (I'm also a veteran, does that factor in at all?) I'm strongly considering applying to either the online SLP undergrad programs at Eastern New Mexico University or Utah State University. 

I would like to study SLP at Howard, Maryland, or George Washington. 

My questions are

-Should I retake the GREs?

-Should I apply for programs that would allow me to finish the SLP undergrad courses, or should I try to finish them before I get into a program?

-Should I try to find a way to do research? 

Thanks!

I'm ex-military myself - welcome!  Not sure if veteran experience helps but I'm sure it doesn't hurt as at the very least it shows strong commitment to something that is pretty tough, not to mention long-term.  Our dept head (in the process of retiring) is ex-military and he seemed excited and wanted to chat when I mentioned my vet status.  So you never know!

That being said, your stats seem in line with the schools you've mentioned - in fact your GREs are on the high side.  I would only bother retaking (and investing the time and money) if you were truly worried you weren't a competitive applicant AND you thought somehow you would blow your old scores out of the water.  Instead, if I were you I would concentrate on getting a 4.0 in your post-bacc SLP work.  Get some experience in the field that is relevant to what you think you want to pursue, if it doesn't get in the way of your GPA that is.  Research is great, but if you aren't interested in it long term then it won't lend much to your statement of purpose / letter of intent or any potential interviews.  Find something you are passionate about!  Also really make yourself stand out to your post-bacc professors.  It seems difficult but it can be done, even in an online format classroom. 

I'd say your GREs are great for this field. Spend your time and focus on the prereqs and other parts of your apps instead. A ton of people in my program did the leveling year through Utah state so that might be a good option before you apply. 

as for military, I definitely think if nothing else it'll set you apart. It might not give you an edge but it's different and will stand out. 

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help! 

I think I'm going to focus on courses, and maybe finding an internship if I think I can handle it. I'm too late to start this semester's leveling courses, so I 'm going to try to do some research first if possible at all. Trying to get that 4.0 GPA for sure.