GPA + Switching Field Question

trojanviking

I had a question about switching fields and how PhD admission committees look at GPA when a candidate has switched. I am looking at Electrical Engineering PhD programs.

As an undergraduate I was a biology major and I got a 2.935 overall GPA. Unfortunately, my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer and passed away three years later my junior year. I went to school in a different state than where my parents lived and I had to fly back often and couldn't focus on school. I understand, however, that this low GPA was my fault and it was my fault that I didn't do enough to get a better GPA.

I realized somewhere in the middle of my junior year to the beginning of my senior year that I did not want to focus on biology; but rather, create devices that people could use (some of which could hopefully interface with biological systems). So, I enrolled in a master's program with a post-bacc bridge where I take the undergraduate electrical engineering classes that are required to complete the master's degree. Currently, I have a 4.0 in this program (for all classes) so far.

I was wondering if someone could shed some light or some insight on:

1) How PhD admission committees would evaluate my GPA.

2) I also am trying to figure out what schools I would like to apply to and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion as to whether I my "GPA situation" would preclude me from admissions to certain "top ranked schools" (i.e. Stanford, MIT, UIUC, etc). I am trying to figure this out because I would rather not waste the admission committees time and my money by applying to those schools. 

Thanks so much for your help and insight! It is much appreciated!

Edited by trojanviking
Took out some extra words