Question about GRE Scoes

Anonymous Questioner

Hello:

I am applying to PhD programs in Literary Studies and I am curious about how my GRE score suggest I will fare. Obviously, GRE scores are one of the least important parts of an application. I am aware of this. And yet, I fear that my scores might be bad enough that, if scores are used as a sort of initial litmus test for entrance, I will be rejected on those grounds. On the verbal reasoning, I scored in the 94th percentile. On the analytic writing, I scored in the 98th percentile. On the quantitative reasoning, I scored in the 40th percentile. So, clearly the math score is abysmal and the writing score is pretty good. My question is, since the programs to which I am applying are not  math centered, is it likely that my terrible math score will be a problem? Also, is the 94th percentile on the verbal reasoning good enough? Obviously it's a lot better than average, but in terms of people who are likely to be applying to literature PhD programs, I fear that it isn't good enough. Thank you for reading this and I appreciate any advice you can offer!

1. You cannot change your post after 60 minutes.
  2. GRE scores are NOT the least important part of your application. 
  3. I would agree with your program not being math centric point.
  4. Your Quant score should suffice the requirements of the program. (You can aim for 155)
  5. You might want to aim for 165 in Verbal as it's your major.
  6. See if you can use the Manhattan set of 8 books. Especially, the Verbal books. Their level is good enough to increase your score.