Security Studies in Geography

ahaidaris

Hi, 

I was hoping to crowdsource on U.S. based Geography programs located in the U.S., I'm currently applying to Univ. of Kentucky for a Geography M.A. but haven't found any other Geography programs in the States that focus on critical security and surveillance studies. There are a number of Geography programs in Canada and the U.K. that focus really amazingly in these areas but due to admissions restrictions (limited # of U.S. based students can be accepted to a number of international programs) and finances (generally just more expensive for me to go "abroad") these universities are less in reach for M.A. based programs. While I am applying to a number of different departments (Feminist Studies, Communication Studies, Geography, etc.) I have been particularly enticed by Geography departments on an international scale that I wish reflected the kind of work being done in the States. I've looked at a few of the standard Geography departments (Syracuse, Boston, Colorado, etc.) but none of these fit the kind of work I'm seeking.

Does anyone have any advice on departments in the U.S. that are in Geography (or elsewhere) that have at least some focus on these areas?

Any info is appreciated and good luck during the application season!

-Angelo

I've applied previously to graduate schools but programs I'm looking at now are:

Ph.D.

UC Santa Cruz (Feminist Studies), Univ. of Ariz. (G&W), UC Davis (Cultural Studies), UC San Diego (Comm. Studies)

M.A.

Univ. of Kentucky (Geography), UBC (Geography), Univ. of Toronto (Geography), York Univ. (STS), Queen's Univ. CA (Sociology)

Considering

Univ. of Georgia (Geography M.A.), Univ. of Minn. (Geography M.A.)

My main focus is working in areas of my research which almost inherently lead me to interdisciplinary departments, while I would prefer to explore Geography M.A. programs, I am certainly open to other options.

Thanks!