Questions for SLP Grad students from a HS mom

On 1/25/2016 at 6:43 AM, slpmom said:

Thank you so much mcamp. Your undergrad experience sounds awesome!!!! Something to consider for sure. 

No problem at all! Also, my last advice is that things might change. Your daughter might love SLP now and it may change later. I KNEW I wanted to be a Spanish teacher all through high school and college... now I´m teaching English in Mexico and working to become an SLP. My sister KNEW she wanted to become a pediatrician, then she got into college and realized she liked chemistry and become a pediatric pharmacist. So... keep your options open. I´m a firm believer in the liberal arts education for just that reason. 

Also, there are lots of blogs (mind and other) on becoming an SLP. If your daughter does stick with it, those might be good resources for her. 

On 1/26/2016 at 10:23 AM, mcamp said:

No problem at all! Also, my last advice is that things might change. Your daughter might love SLP now and it may change later. I KNEW I wanted to be a Spanish teacher all through high school and college... now I´m teaching English in Mexico and working to become an SLP. My sister KNEW she wanted to become a pediatrician, then she got into college and realized she liked chemistry and become a pediatric pharmacist. So... keep your options open. I´m a firm believer in the liberal arts education for just that reason. 

Also, there are lots of blogs (mind and other) on becoming an SLP. If your daughter does stick with it, those might be good resources for her. 

Yes, I know. I am trying to steer her to larger schools that offer many options in case she wants to switch to something else. It seems that is what everyone does these days lol.

Edited by slpmom

I think it's awesome that you're researching all of this for your daughter! It must be great to have such a supportive parent! 

I noticed you were e-mailing professors and university contacts for your daughter, and it reminded me of something I heard while working in the admin office at my university. Professors and administrators don't like helicopter parents, and unless it's a serious matter, I think they prefer direct contact with the student. It shows that they're learning to be adults, and laying a future for themselves. Just a suggestion that you start having her do these things too! It will make a great impression on the admissions coordinator and the professors at whichever university she contacts. 

Hoping you guys the best!!!

On 2/2/2016 at 10:42 AM, bomstarz said:

I think it's awesome that you're researching all of this for your daughter! It must be great to have such a supportive parent! 

I noticed you were e-mailing professors and university contacts for your daughter, and it reminded me of something I heard while working in the admin office at my university. Professors and administrators don't like helicopter parents, and unless it's a serious matter, I think they prefer direct contact with the student. It shows that they're learning to be adults, and laying a future for themselves. Just a suggestion that you start having her do these things too! It will make a great impression on the admissions coordinator and the professors at whichever university she contacts. 

Hoping you guys the best!!!

Yes, I totally agree and have been encouraging her to advocate for herself. When I did call I didn't identify myself as a parent, I just said I had some questions about the program and still didn't receive a call back LOL