Is it okay to abbreviate the name of a school if it has a very long name?

I'm applying to UCLA for a Ph.D program.  I'm currently in the process of writing my statement.  The thing is, writing "University of California - Los Angeles" fifteen times in a paper would take up quite a bit of space, and would probably grate on the reader as well.  In this one case, is it acceptable to  write UCLA instead of the entire thing?  It feels just as formal, as many people refer to UCLA outside of a colloquial/slang use.

Thank you!  One more question.  One of the programs I'm applying to (which is a very good program, so this is surprising) doesn't ask for a statement of purpose or letters of recommendation.  Would it be considered bad form if I were to mail them to the admissions department anyways?

"UCLA" is what the institution has referred to itself as since the 60s, so I think it is fine to refer to it as only UCLA. I would not say the same of other UC campuses or other schools with long names, but UCLA is somewhat unique in that the abbreviation has become the most common name for the school. That said, there's also nothing wrong with taking the route Fuzzylogician suggested. Either way, I think you're fine! 

By the way, if you do spell it out, note that "Los Angeles" should be separated from "University of California" by a comma rather than a dash. 

Edited by brown_eyed_girl

I agree with brown_eyed_girl that for some schools, the abbreviated name is so commonly used / the way the school brands itself that it's a good idea to use the abbreviation. In fact, I might even argue that spelling out UCLA would sound like you are not familiar enough with the school. My current school is a little like this too. I was on a search committee for a (non-academic) position and when reading cover letters, the other (more senior) committee members did point out when candidates didn't use the name that we prefer to refer to ourselves as (it's all over the websites and official documents) and/or when they spell the name wrong!

However, I think you are ever in doubt, it's always always safer to go with the full official name as fuzzy suggested. It's much better to write "University of California, Los Angeles" than something like "U.C.L.A" or "UC-LA". 

And one final tip: Almost every school has an "identity" page or "brand guidelines" type pages. These webpages contain the logo and other official markings for the school. They set the guidelines on how to use the logos, which colours are the correct colours etc. Following the spelling and formatting of the school name on this page will ensure you get it right. Here's the example page for UCLA: https://brand.ucla.edu/

And as another example, here's a school that clearly prefers using its full name (even though colloquially, we might say UT or U of T): http://universityrelations.utoronto.ca/sc/u-of-t-branding/

^ Yep, a good thing to do is go on the school and department's webpages and see how they describes themselves. I always prefer to be on the safe side, but in cases like UCLA or MIT I think there is a clear institutional preference and you'll be just fine using the abbreviations. Honestly, though, as long as you have the right school name in your documents and don't confuse it with some other school, I think any choice you make will be fine.