Should I retake GRE (Bio-Engineering)

unknowndevil

I graduated few years already with GPA of 3.1 with Mol Bio major

After few years of working in lab field I want to Bioengineering.

I just got my score of Quant:162, Verbal:149, and Writing 3.0

I know I can improve my Quant (I wasn aiming for perfect score but I was over-confident)

For Verbal I think I did my best and I really don't think I can improve my score, same to writing.

I am looking for more on States (SDSU, Cal Poly, and Santa Clara) and maybe some other state.

Do you guys think I should retake the GRE? I know if I study for 2 more weeks I maybe can get my verbal to 150 range but writing I really don't know

Thanks

Not sure if verbal is too important past average.  What you need to do is email the schools you want to apply to and ask what the average GRE score of their incoming students usually is; then you need to hit those averages and then forget about the gre, since at this point if you don't get accepted to the school the GRE score isn't the issue (as you had a score equal to the average of accepted students).

You only need to retake if your verbal is like 5 points below their average, im assuming your quant should be fine.

On 2015/11/27 下午5:25:46, AkashSky said:

Not sure if verbal is too important past average.  What you need to do is email the schools you want to apply to and ask what the average GRE score of their incoming students usually is; then you need to hit those averages and then forget about the gre, since at this point if you don't get accepted to the school the GRE score isn't the issue (as you had a score equal to the average of accepted students).

You only need to retake if your verbal is like 5 points below their average, im assuming your quant should be fine.

thanks for the advice, I am just super worry about my writing score because it's really bad. I feel both my writing and verbal score is up to the limit and it's not likely to improve, but I think I can get my Quant 5 points more (or to reach 170) do you think it's worth of retaking them?

Thank You

21 minutes ago, unknowndevil said:

thanks for the advice, I am just super worry about my writing score because it's really bad. I feel both my writing and verbal score is up to the limit and it's not likely to improve, but I think I can get my Quant 5 points more (or to reach 170) do you think it's worth of retaking them?

Thank You

After reading your post I do agree with you in regard to your writing score.  If you can only improve your Q score, then it isn't worth retaking.  This is because your Q score of 162 is already very likely to be within the averages of most universities.  If you do end up retaking, it should be solely for the purpose of improving your verbal and writing score.

Then again, here's the thing; unless you are an international applicant, it isn't absolutely necessary because you can convince the admission committee that you can write well by presenting an excellent statement of purpose.  If you are international, most admission committees are much more strict on your qualifications, especially writing.

Unless you have a large amount of time to prepare for your GRE before you apply, don't retake it.  Work on your application essays and make them the best essays you have ever written.

1 hour ago, AkashSky said:

After reading your post I do agree with you in regard to your writing score.  If you can only improve your Q score, then it isn't worth retaking.  This is because your Q score of 162 is already very likely to be within the averages of most universities.  If you do end up retaking, it should be solely for the purpose of improving your verbal and writing score.

Then again, here's the thing; unless you are an international applicant, it isn't absolutely necessary because you can convince the admission committee that you can write well by presenting an excellent statement of purpose.  If you are international, most admission committees are much more strict on your qualifications, especially writing.

Unless you have a large amount of time to prepare for your GRE before you apply, don't retake it.  Work on your application essays and make them the best essays you have ever written.

got it. Thanks for the advice