Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS):

UG GPA:

(If you did Masters)

Masters GPA:

Research experience:

Research publications, patents, conferences:

PHD intended specialization

University list:

Really interested in UCSB. Good luck everyone!

GRE: 163V 170Q 6.0AW

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): Domestic

UG GPA:3.86

Research experience:1 summer in physics research, 1 internship at national lab, 1 REU at top 5 MSE school, 2 years research at home institution

Research publications, patents, conferences:1 conference paper, 1 conference publication

PHD intended specialization: Electronic/Photonic/Magnetic Materials

University list: MIT, Northwestern, U Chicago Institute of Molecular Engineering, UCSB, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford

Top choice is UCSD

GRE: 157 Q, 156V, 5.0AW (lower than I wanted, probably should have put in a bit more work here...)

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): Domestic

UG GPA: Major in Physics, Minor in Math, 3.86 Overall, 4.0 Physics

Research experience:  1 REU in a chemical engineering department. 1 year+ research position in biophysics lab at my home university.

Research publications, patents, conferences: Will be publishing as first author on biophysics research. Will present a poster at APS March Meeting 2016.

PHD intended specialization: Materials for Energy

University list:

UCSD (Nanoengineering)

ASU (Mat Sci)

Colorado School of Mines (Mat Sci)

Top choice is University of Tennessee (really interested in their new Advanced Materials facility)

GRE: 151V, 160Q, 4.5W

UG GPA: 3.957

Research experience: NNIN REU at Cornell University (worked in the nanoscale facility), 2 years of research at home institution

Research publications, patents, conferences: APS March Meeting 2015, REU final reports were all published in a book (there were 75 interns total at 14 different universities in the NNIN program and all our reports are put in the book)

PHD intended specialization: Nanomaterials, advanced materials

University listUniversity of Tennessee Knoxville, Vanderbilt University, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Cornell University, Penn State

GRE:151V/163Q/4.5W

Domestic, Latino Male, First Gen.

UG GPA: 3.71

Research experience:
A year each in two different labs at home institution, REU at a top 10 MSE school. I know for a fact that I have three very strong LoR.

Publication in process of being submitted, no patents or conferences.  Two poster presentations (one won "best stem poster") and one oral presentation. 

PHD intended specialization:  Biomaterials/Nanobiotechnology

University list:
JHU (best research fit; already admitted and will begin in the Spring!)

UIUC (admitted about two weeks ago with only 2/3 of my recommendations submitted (?), but was already admitted to and accepted Hopkins)

UT-Austin (had already submitted app before being admitted to Hopkins)

UFlorida (same as Austin)

I had another 3 schools on my list (UPenn, CMU, and UCSD), but since I've already been admitted to top choice I'm no longer applying. 

--

Was admitted to Hopkins because I contacted my top two POI, and one responded very positively encouraging me to apply for the Spring (I graduated a semester early).  I sent in my app, went in for interview with POI, and was offered the position on the spot.  

I'll stick around to see how it goes for you guys - best of luck!  
:-P

I really like all of my schools, to be honest, and could not really fathom a top choice. Each program and location offers certain advantages over the next

GRE: 167,164,5, (Q,V,AW)

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): domestic

UG GPA

3.96 Chemistry major

Research experience:

3 years UG in polymer research lab , 1 summer in inorganic materials REU, 1 summer in biomaterials international lab

No publications (the nature of my projects and broken up research experiences. However, a wealth of knowledge acquired in the process) 

PHD intended specialization

Essentially organic materials: Polymer Science, Soft Matter, Self-Assembly, Biomaterials. But I would like to stay away from organic electronics

University list:

Stanford, UIUC, Cornell,Northwestern

------------------------------------------------------------

Everything has been in for a while. Now we wait

Edited by Andnowwewait

6 hours ago, aegis921 said:

So you've had plenty of time to visit JHU and see what Baltimore is like? I'd just make sure you are willing to live there for 5-7 years before you commit to a PhD program there. Wouldn't want to regret not applying to those three schools if you are less than flattered when visiting JHU. It's a great university, but for me, Baltimore is kind a deal breaker. 

Yeah, I got a tour of the campus/immediate area during my visit, and walked around a bit myself afterwards.  I'm not put off by cities with a reputation such as Baltimore; I grew up frequenting a less-than-stellar city with a reputation similar to Baltimore's due to family.  At this point, it's probably not as lowly regarded as Baltimore due to events that have recently occurred, but I'm very happy with the advisor and the research could not be better, so I'm not going to let location get in the way of my ambitions. 

Besides, I don't do well living in the middle of nowhere. :-P If I were to end up at a place like UIUC, I'd lose my mind after a few months.  Learned from personal experience during my summer in Happy Valley.  :wacko:

Edited by yepyepBamboo

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone!!! :P

What's up? I've seen that the results page is full with all the other fields (Chem,ChemEng,BEng...).

Have you got any news-from your unis?

I guess it's still too early for us...:(

15 minutes ago, Andnowwewait said:

I've got in everywhere; however the visit weekends for Cornell and NU overlap :(. 

Woohoo, congrats! I got into Cornell as well. Unfortunately I already have another commitment that weekend too so I won't be going on the visit. 

GRE:

166 verbal, 170 math

Domestic

UG GPA:

Chemistry, 3.3GPA

Research experience:

3 years of biology with a little bit of materials/nano

2 first author publications, 1 poster, 1 oral

University list:

Northwestern, accepted by email, not sure if I did or didn't get the phone call though.

Edited by cresume
TMI

• 2 weeks later...

International, Female

MS GPA: 3.9, Materials Science, Germany

BS GPA: 3.3 Materials Science and Engineering, Iran

Toefl:117 (R 30, L 29, S 29, W 29)

GRE: V 152, Q 164, AW 5 ( low-end verbal score unfortunately)

1 conference paper, 1 submitted to ACS Nano, 1 poster award

Research experience: 2 yrs research experience in UG, 1 yr in MS, 1 semester TA, currently working at Max Planck Institute as graduate research assistant.

Research interest: Nanomaterials, graphene

University List: Northwestern(top choice), University of Southern California, Boston University, University of Houston

Edited by RanaYekani

On 5 February 2016 at 2:02 PM, Marwan Shalaby said:

You guys think that Northwestern will send more acceptance letters, or should I assume that I got rejected since I did not get any reply so far?

That's my question too. Guess if you are an international, like me, then you might have to wait a bit longer.