International flights for Open House?

KimchiRamen

Hi! I was wondering if anyone here have ever had to deal with taking an international flight back to America to visit schools you have been admitted to? Did the school offer you reimbursement for your international flight? I know many schools offer to pay for domestic traveling expenses, but do you suppose it`s negotiable to ask for reimbursement for international traveling expenses?

Edited by KimchiRamen

4 hours ago, KimchiRamen said:

Hi! I was wondering if anyone here have ever had to deal with taking an international flight back to America to visit schools you have been admitted to? Did the school offer you reimbursement for your international flight? I know many schools offer to pay for domestic traveling expenses, but do you suppose it`s negotiable to ask for reimbursement for international traveling expenses?

Hey there. I actually asked if there is "wiggle room" in the budget for support above and beyond that which is given for domestic flights. No answer yet. But I think it's s reasonable thing to ask: flights based from Europe (as is my case) are 2.5/3x longer & more expensive than cross-country domestic flights. Not exactly apples to apples  

Alas! Skype is infinitely cheaper and friendlier to our dear planet.

Most schools do not fly international students (except for nearby countries like Canada, Mexico, etc.) for visits. My school has a reimbursement limit of $300 for flights. Most schools offer somewhere between $300 and $500 for these trips. The only international students that visit are from these nearby countries, or if they are already in the US (e.g. they are at a US undergrad school), or if they are combining multiple school visits in one trip.

What I would recommend is first ask. They will probably say there is a limit of X dollars. Then, see if they are open to the idea to splitting costs with multiple schools (the schools don't even need to be in the area, as long as they are on the same coast, it would probably save money). Then, see if you can move the visits so that they are all back to back. You might have to pay out of pocket for a few days in between visits but you can make it into a vacation. You might also have to visit on days other than the official visit days. No harm in asking!!

4 hours ago, KimchiRamen said:

My experience was that schools had a fixed sum that they would reimburse international students, usually in the $500 range, so that clearly wasn't enough for an international flight. However, I was admitted to multiple schools and was able to get those schools to all participate in the expenses, so together I had 4 schools share the costs of my travel between them, which then was basically enough. You could ask the school you've been admitted to if it could cover your expenses, but I think in all likelihood it'll be too much for them. There is harm in asking, though, as long as you are polite about it. 

ETA: Oh! I had this window open for an hour but it took me a while to finally finish the post, and now I see TakeruK has basically said the exact same thing...

Edited by fuzzylogician

2 hours ago, flatnwhite said:

Hey there. I actually asked if there is "wiggle room" in the budget for support above and beyond that which is given for domestic flights. No answer yet. But I think it's s reasonable thing to ask: flights based from Europe (as is my case) are 2.5/3x longer & more expensive than cross-country domestic flights. Not exactly apples to apples  

Alas! Skype is infinitely cheaper and friendlier to our dear planet.

Hey, flatnwhite! Did you ask this question to Irvine? I was just wondering because I noticed your signature and I also just happened to have shot Irvine the same kind of email a few days ago. I also have not received a response.

TakeruK and fuzzylogician, thank you so much for the information. I didn't realize that was an option, openly asking the schools to share the cost of my expense. However, since I have only applied to 6 schools and they are all over the country, I doubt I'll get into enough schools to do the kind of negotiation that you did, fuzzylogician. I have been accepted to two and am waiting on the rest, but small chance. It's good to know anyway. Thank you. 

Edited by KimchiRamen

1 hour ago, KimchiRamen said:

Hey, flatnwhite! Did you ask this question to Irvine? I was just wondering because I noticed your signature and I also just happened to have shot Irvine the same kind of email a few days ago. I also have not received a response.

You got it!