NYU Silver School of Social Work?

emylauren2794

One of the graduate schools I'm applying to is NYU. I'm applying to their Silver School of Social Work. My GPA for my major (Child Protection and Juvenile Justice) is a 4.0. I went to a community college for two years and my cumulative for those two years ended up being a 3.0 (I know, it's terrible but I started out bad and got it up pretty well after struggling). I will be graduating with my bachelors in 2017.

I have had a part-time job for 7 months in customer service. I plan to try and start working or maybe gaining some volunteer work soon if I can find something available. I know that experience really factors into your application, but just how much do I need? 

I am set to try and apply to at least 8 schools, maybe 9. NYU is my second or third choice depending on if I apply to everywhere I'm wanting to. I heard their program is challenging, but fun. I haven't heard much about their campus or even looked at it for that matter, but I want to know if I at least have a shot to get in.

Let me know! :)

Edited by emylauren2794

@emylauren2794 Hey! I definitely do think you have a chance of getting in. I think they look for many different qualities in applicants, so I would encourage you to apply. My only suggestion would be to get some volunteer experience in beforehand. I think it's important that they see you are contributing to the SW profession somehow, even if only a little. Also, make sure you write a strong personal statement. I'd recommend going to professors for guidance or even just to have a second pair of eyes. I think having a strong personal statement speaks volumes. I'd also have good references who can back up your coursework and your ability to do graduate level work. 

Good luck! Keep us posted. 

5 hours ago, emylauren2794 said:

One of the graduate schools I'm applying to is NYU. I'm applying to their Silver School of Social Work. My GPA for my major (Child Protection and Juvenile Justice) is a 4.0. I went to a community college for two years and my cumulative for those two years ended up being a 3.0 (I know, it's terrible but I started out bad and got it up pretty well after struggling). I will be graduating with my bachelors in 2017.

I have had a part-time job for 7 months in customer service. I plan to try and start working or maybe gaining some volunteer work soon if I can find something available. I know that experience really factors into your application, but just how much do I need? 

I am set to try and apply to at least 8 schools, maybe 9. NYU is my second or third choice depending on if I apply to everywhere I'm wanting to. I heard their program is challenging, but fun. I haven't heard much about their campus or even looked at it for that matter, but I want to know if I at least have a shot to get in.

Let me know! :)

You can do it. Trust me.