Is there any hope left for UCSD & Columbia EE programs ?

Raul gonzalez

I have applied for the Ph.D. program in EE at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) and Columbia University on the 9th of Dec.

I can see from the Results Search on Gradcafe that there are some students already received their admission results from these two universities ( 16 students got accepted at UCSD + 12 students got accepted at Columbia). 

I have not yet received any news from these two universities. I also have not contacted any professor before applying to UCSD and Columbia. Would this be a reason for not hearing back yet from them ? Should I assume that I would be already rejected ?? 

These are my two dream universities and I really wish to hear back from them. I also applied to other universities and got 3 offers so far, but I am waiting to hear from Columbia and UCSD before deciding my best option. 

13 hours ago, flipflops said:

To the best of my knowledge (one of admitted students), Columbia EE PhD is completely finalized. I saw one of the staff tagged all the admitted students, and I think around 30 people got admitted this year.

Thank you for letting me know. At least I can now be psychologically ready for their rejection letter. 

I think UCSD would give another round of admission. I e-mailed them and they say the review is still on.

Also, I think it depends on how many first round students would decline. lol

Admission decision at ECE department, UCSD is made by committee. I talked to one of my POI, and he is actually in the committee. And he does not think it is even necessary to mention which professor you would love to work with. So I suppose contacting professor might help, but minor. They department offers one year fellowship for the new PhD student. Supported by your POI might help get a RA or TA.

I am still waiting for UCSD as well, but I think my chance is small. I would say sometimes some school even send out offer just before 415.

Good luck for you! Be patience lol

I've been interviewing with a Columbia EE Professor and he said that I should expect to hear back in a week or so. I think if you've been in contact with a professor expressing interest in having you join the lab then you're probably still in the running. Otherwise, unfortunately, the chances of getting accepted now are probably pretty low.

Edited by Edotdl

On February 12, 2016 at 2:33 AM, Darling_g said:

I think UCSD would give another round of admission. I e-mailed them and they say the review is still on.

Also, I think it depends on how many first round students would decline. lol

Admission decision at ECE department, UCSD is made by committee. I talked to one of my POI, and he is actually in the committee. And he does not think it is even necessary to mention which professor you would love to work with. So I suppose contacting professor might help, but minor. They department offers one year fellowship for the new PhD student. Supported by your POI might help get a RA or TA.

I am still waiting for UCSD as well, but I think my chance is small. I would say sometimes some school even send out offer just before 415.

Good luck for you! Be patience lol

Thank you for your comment. It is a huge relief to know that UCSD would give another round of admission. I will put all my hopes on the next round and I am prepared for the worst. Wish you all the best of luck too :) Cheers.

Edited by Raul gonzalez

6 hours ago, Edotdl said:

I've been interviewing with a Columbia EE Professor and he said that I should expect to hear back in a week or so. I think if you've been in contact with a professor expressing interest in having you join the lab then you're probably still in the running. Otherwise, unfortunately, the chances of getting accepted now are probably pretty low.

I haven't had any interview with Columbia professors and I believe I will receive a rejection soon. Having said that, there is always a slim chance for me of being admitted when some  accepted applicants turn down their offers.

On 2/16/2016 at 5:52 AM, Raul gonzalez said:

Thank you for your comment. It is a huge relief to know that UCSD would give another round of admission. I will put all my hopes on the next round and I am prepared for the worst. Wish you all the best of luck too :) Cheers.

good luck! Also, if you know someone who has already got the offer and not going, asking him to refer you might work sometimes.