U Georgia MPA

goforthegold

Just got an email confirming that I have been accepted to U Georgia's MPA program! Anyone else here get the word, too?

There was nothing in the email about funding or scholarships. Does anyone know if that will come separately or at a later time?

What are your thoughts on the program, Athens, and U Georgia? And who are you: what do you hope to specialize in, what past experience do you have in public policy, etc.?

Post away!

Edited by goforthegold

Guest SIPA_MPA18
15 hours ago, goforthegold said:

What are your thoughts on the program, Athens, and U Georgia?

First, congrats on getting accepted! I considered applying to UGA, but I went there for undergrad (Political Science, in SPIA with MPA) so I ultimately decided to look at different experiences. I can't comment on the program itself other than the fact that it has a great reputation on campus (it's the highest nationally ranked graduate program on campus). 

I can, however, give you a great perspective on Athens and the campus. There's tons to say and I have lots of stories and things to say but I'll try to sum it up without simplifying it too much. 

Athens is an amazing, quintessential college town that draws in so many different types of people. It's a big foodie town with lots of great local restaurants for every palate. It's location is great as it's just a short, easy drive from Atlanta, the lakes, rivers and North GA mountains. Enjoy it and take advantage of everything outside of campus. Athens itself has all the national chains and resources you find in most towns these days but it has a great local feel around campus and downtown.

Campus itself is large, green and hilly - but absolutely beautiful. All of your classes will be held on North Campus in either Baldwin or Candler Hall (and maybe some in the Miller Learning Center). The bus system is free and takes you all over campus (along with Athens Transit w/ your UGACard, which takes you all throughout Athens). I would definitely recommend having a car to get around greater Athens, but on campus, park and walk or ride the bus. The main library is huge and is conveniently located on North Campus for all of the Humanities, Business and Arts majors. South Campus and Ag Hill house most of your science students and the Science Library (and the under-construction Science Learning Center). The MLC, Tate Center and Sanford Stadium make up the heart of campus where you'll find the student union, fast-grab food and most campus services. The actual dining halls on campus are mostly located near dorms throughout west, south and east campus, but they are all absolutely delicious, unlimited and a great place to study (and you can pay cash to eat if you choose).

Being the state flagship university, it's very undergrad-centric. Social life for much of the population that chooses to consume alcohol usually centers around downtown Athens. There are a ton of bars that cater to almost every group of students at UGA - if you want a club-like atmosphere filled with (usually underage) undergrads, there's a place for you. If you want a chill place to study or chat whilst enjoying the people watching as bar hoppers stroll by, there's a place for you -- and everything in between. 

Fall semester is of course in the middle of football season so be prepared for the campus of 35,000 people to swell to well over 100,000 people overnight. Gamedays and tailgating are intense and a lot of fun if you choose to get totally involved in the culture. If you hate football and crowds, just get out of town for the weekend -- you won't be the only one. 

Overall, life is very affordable in Athens. Drinks are cheap, rent is very low, and good food is abundant. You should fall in love with UGA and Athens if you come in with an open mind and are able to take advantage of the social scene while balancing your schoolwork. Go Dawgs. 

PM me if you want more specific details!

Congratulations..I was planning to apply I had an accident around Christmas and could not submit my application on time..I wanted to know if GRE scores and past instituition matters..I am an oldie, I am 45 ..and now heading back to equip myself for a proper education in Public Administration...also may be I have completed my 15 years of Business Administration...Any suggestions would be welcome...Are the admissions still open?

Thanks again

I have not received an email yet :mellow:!

However, I checked online to see my grad status and it says "Applicant Accepted Offer." Is that what yours says? I am not sure how to interpret this. It could mean that it was an error typed in, and they think I already accepted the offer. It could also mean that they are sending me an offer of acceptance (however if that is the case, that's confusing and they should change it). Worst case scenario, it was an error and I didn't get accepted at all!

Can you let me know?

I see it under "Applicant" here: https://gradstatus.uga.edu/Applicant

Amy

Edited by ad00163

5 hours ago, ad00163 said:

I have not received an email yet :mellow:!

However, I checked online to see my grad status and it says "Applicant Accepted Offer." Is that what yours says? I am not sure how to interpret this. It could mean that it was an error typed in, and they think I already accepted the offer. It could also mean that they are sending me an offer of acceptance (however if that is the case, that's confusing and they should change it). Worst case scenario, it was an error and I didn't get accepted at all!

Can you let me know?

I see it under "Applicant" here: https://gradstatus.uga.edu/Applicant

Amy

Amy, 

Well, this is certainly strange. Unlike you, I have received multiple emails. But like you, I too see an "Applicant Accepted Offer" message on the GradStatus page, even though I have done no such thing.

Try going through your Spam folder and also looking carefully through your email inbox. I have gotten three emails from UGeorgia to date: one with the conditional offer, and two with admission details (the latter to clarify an earlier misstatement). And definitely send an email to PADP to clarify exactly where you stand -- though I've had terrible luck with getting any response at all from them. The program is probably swamped, I know, but it can be a bit frustrating.

Good luck, and be sure to update this thread with your plans and thoughts on the program if you decide to pursue it further!

Hi everyone,

I was officially accepted to Georgia's MPA program a couple weeks ago. Now I'm just waiting to hear about funding, which leaves me with a couple questions:

A) Does anyone know when they plan to release decisions about assistantships, fellowships, etc.?

B} What percentage of accepted applicants receive assistantships?

Thanks in advance for the help! Hoping to enroll in the fall, just need to figure out how I'll make it financially possible. 

21 minutes ago, sfrett said:

Hi everyone,

I was officially accepted to Georgia's MPA program a couple weeks ago. Now I'm just waiting to hear about funding, which leaves me with a couple questions:

A) Does anyone know when they plan to release decisions about assistantships, fellowships, etc.?

B} What percentage of accepted applicants receive assistantships?

Thanks in advance for the help! Hoping to enroll in the fall, just need to figure out how I'll make it financially possible. 

The last email I received from UGeorgia stated that not all Assistantships have yet been released; some are yet to be awarded. 

That said, I did not get one, and I doubt I will at this point, since most do seem to have been awarded. The program has also been very, very bad about returning my emails on this matter as well as others.

Without funding, I will not be attending and have chosen another program for the Fall.

It's a great program, but you're right; it's just not worth it without funding, which at this point may not be coming for either of us.

Hey all, I got in! I called the department and they told me that was a yes. I did not receive the email until about five days after I by got the letter, which was about two days after I posted. It said nothing about funding on mine either, so I'm not sure. 

Right now I'm weighing two schools, and funding may influence that. 

Update: I did receive an instate tuition waiver for the first year that could be renewed for the second.

But it was just too little, too late, and I had soured on Georgia. I went with my actual instate university, which also gave me a fellowship.