Built a web app to visualise GRE & GPA averages and distributions based off grad cafe survey.

juanmesh

6 hours ago, fernandes said:

Good job mate! Did you use Python for doing it? 

Also, I have a suggestion: it would be nice to narrow/approximate the average calculated value to two decimals only.

Great suggestion - DONE! Normally, and you might be able to tell, my sense of what things should be presented as is almost non-existent.

Here's a link to the github repo - https://github.com/stonegold546/gradcafe-school-admission-results

The actual code is in Ruby, web framework is Sinatra. The visualisations are JavaScript but I couldn't write JS to save my life - it's actually OS code from Highcharts.

Edited by juanmesh
Completed the suggestion

17 hours ago, juanmesh said:

Great suggestion - DONE! Normally, and you might be able to tell, my sense of what things should be presented as is almost non-existent.

Here's a link to the github repo - https://github.com/stonegold546/gradcafe-school-admission-results

The actual code is in Ruby, web framework is Sinatra. The visualisations are JavaScript but I couldn't write JS to save my life - it's actually OS code from Highcharts.

Don't worry, you have done a great job.

Thanks for sharing some info with me. I'll work on my programming skills so I can maybe work on something similar in the future. I've been learning python, but I know so little about web frameworks and programming languages for the web.

4 hours ago, fernandes said:

Don't worry, you have done a great job.

Thanks for sharing some info with me. I'll work on my programming skills so I can maybe work on something similar in the future. I've been learning python, but I know so little about web frameworks and programming languages for the web.

Thanks. But your background is Mech Engineering? Is general purpose programming a useful skill?

3 minutes ago, juanmesh said:

Thanks. But your background is Mech Engineering? Is general purpose programming a useful skill?

Exactly. And no, not really. I just really think that programming and web developing are really neat skills that I want to have in the future. And I also catch myself thinking how I could automate boring stuff I do with programming. Is it a necessary skill in your area of study?

6 hours ago, fernandes said:

Exactly. And no, not really. I just really think that programming and web developing are really neat skills that I want to have in the future. And I also catch myself thinking how I could automate boring stuff I do with programming. Is it a necessary skill in your area of study?

My background is information systems so yes. But going forward, I'm moving into education, quantitative evaluation specifically. I wouldn't say the programming is all that useful (say except R programming?) but online visualisations are useful for communication, and the ability to automate data collection, and pre-processing is useful.

Automation is always a great tool and python should be able to give you what you're looking for. There's an automation joke in an earlier post on the first page.

3 hours ago, juanmesh said:

My background is information systems so yes. But going forward, I'm moving into education, quantitative evaluation specifically. I wouldn't say the programming is all that useful (say except R programming?) but online visualisations are useful for communication, and the ability to automate data collection, and pre-processing is useful.

Automation is always a great tool and python should be able to give you what you're looking for. There's an automation joke in an earlier post on the first page.

Oh alright. I know people from several areas who use R and say that it's really important for data analysis, so maybe one day I'll need to learn it. 

I have also looked into Data Analysing tools like MapReduce, but I'm still unsure if I would use it for research in the future. Do you know anything about it? 

And yep, I liked that joke haha. Exactly how it feels like sometimes. 

3 hours ago, fernandes said:

Oh alright. I know people from several areas who use R and say that it's really important for data analysis, so maybe one day I'll need to learn it. 

I have also looked into Data Analysing tools like MapReduce, but I'm still unsure if I would use it for research in the future. Do you know anything about it? 

And yep, I liked that joke haha. Exactly how it feels like sometimes. 

I know what map and reduce are. I just don't know what MapReduce is in relation to anything, though I'm quite possibly the only one in my department who doesn't know what it is.

R is quite easy to pick up, actually that's not true. In my opinion, if you program in other languages consistently, you don't ever pick up R, but it's just easy to use.

Edited by juanmesh
Clarification

4 minutes ago, juanmesh said:

I know what map and reduce are. I just don't know what MapReduce is in relation to anything, though I'm quite possibly the only one in my department who doesn't know what it is.

R is quite easy to pick up, actually that's not true. In my opinion, if you program in other languages consistently, you don't ever pick up R, but it's just easy to use.

Well , that's great to hear about R. 

And I also don't know much about map and reduce, and I also don't know how useful it could be in my research area. I think I'd better wait and see if I will need to use those tools before I actually start learning them. 

I'll keep learning Python then. And I'll let you know if I have any other suggestions for your Web app. 

1 hour ago, fernandes said:

Well , that's great to hear about R. 

And I also don't know much about map and reduce, and I also don't know how useful it could be in my research area. I think I'd better wait and see if I will need to use those tools before I actually start learning them. 

I'll keep learning Python then. And I'll let you know if I have any other suggestions for your Web app. 

Welcome any further suggestions. Thank you.