Masters at SFSU vs. Lab tech at UC

goldenbear33

Hello!

I was wondering if a Master's (likely 3 years) at SFSU or 2 years of lab tech experience at UCSD would be looked upon more favorably by developmental bio PhD admissions committees. Are they weighted similarly or would a master's be weighted more favorably because of the degree of independent research? How much does university prestige play in? Both have fascinating research topics and potential for publications. Any input is appreciated!

Background: 1 pending publication, 2 years lab assistant, 1 REU, 3.75 undergrad GPA, 162/165/5 GRE

If you are in grad program at SFSU, it is very easy to graduate with MS in 2 years. All classes are reserve for you in Biology Department. If you are CA resident, it is almost free for you. You will have a lot of time to volunteer at  UCSF (San Francisco - Mission Bay) or Stanford (Palo Alto). - many friends at SFSU

At UCSD too many students are working in research, so it will be very hard for you, to be recognized outside. Only grad students can do their own projects.  Usually, they pay only $10.50/h., but rent in La Jolla is very expensive.

I am graduating this year from UCSD in Mechanical Engineering. (GPA=4.00; 2 years in lab; rejected from Stanford, MIT, Caltech; UCSD no respond; accepted to UCB)

My brother paid $500 for first year, second year was free, graduated last year from SFSU with MS in Biomedical Science (Biology Dept)

He was getting grants from SFSU.

Many of his friends paid $1000 a year or nothing. Everybody were working in lab at UCSF, Stanford or in industry .

I'm receiving enough funding for tuition, it is more SF rent I'm worried about, and the lab I want to join has a track record for taking more than 2 years. I'm from SD so rent would be a non-issue if I stayed here. What do you mean by "it would be hard for you to be recognized outside?" I feel like UCSD has so many active labs that that balances the number of students doing research. 

I recently graduated from UCSD for undergrad and am currently working at UCSF (starting the BMS PhD program in September). In regards to SF rent, it's going to cost around $1,000 - $1,500/month for a single room in a shared apt. If you want a studio, it'll be $2,000+ a month. 

That being said, I would opt for the UCSD tech position. If you're upfront with your PI that you are looking to apply to graduate programs in a few years and would like to strengthen your research experience, they'll likely let you take on more responsibility and have a larger part of a project. Not sure what @harcerz is referring to when s/he says that too many students are working in research at UCSD. Most of the students working in the labs are undergrads anyways who are working limited hours. Being in full time research will definitely help your grad application and help you develop research skills/critical thinking. 

Have you thought about applying to PhD program next year? Your stat is similar to mine and depends on your program, I think you have a pretty good chance of getting in.

Applying next year was my original plan, but right now I'm a bit indecisive about what exactly I want my focus to be. My undergrad work (evolutionary ecology) was a bit different from what I want to pursue in grad school (evo-devo) so I want to make sure I actually like the day to day lab dynamic of that type of research before committing to a Ph.D.  program. Otherwise I would have applied straight out of college. 

Thanks for your input everyone!

The time and money investment is not worth it for a masters if you plan on pursuing a PhD anyway. Take the tech position and don't look back. As long as you do solid work, you'll get fantastic letters and you will be at a serious advantage during interviews.