Online, One-at-a-time?

dedede666

Hello all,

Due to my profession and the path I've chosen, I will most likely be unable to attend graduate school, at least in person.  When I get my Bachelors in Psychology (in Wisconsin) in about a year or year and a half, I'd like the opportunity to attend Graduate school to obtain my Masters in Psychology, possibly Business administration or Industrial-Organizational Psyhoclogy.   Due to my stressful job (police), I don't think I'll be able to dedicate all the time in the world to school. So my question is this:

Are their any credited universities that offer online classes in these subjects?  If so, who?

Is it possible to take one class at a time, so I can take my time getting my degree?

Is this something that is done by some people, or is it just wayyyyy out their?

Thanks again

I don't know about Psychology specifically, but there are a lot of universities that now offer online degrees. Most of these universities list their programs online, so you should be able to easily find them on their website.

You can certainly take you time to finish your masters, as online degrees usually allow for much more time flexibility than regular on-campus courses. (That's what they were made for) However, many of them have some sort of limitations that will require you to (for example) take at least 1/2/3... classes per semester/year, or to finish all required courses in a maximum of 5 years. Again, you could find all relevant information on your desired program's website. And don't hesitate to contact the department offering the program directly to get more details.

As for your last question, it really depends on where you're gonna work later. Online programs are still relatively new, and some people don't even know about them. While many "traditional" employers will scoff at an online degree and consider it as "not a real degree", many others will accept it and give it the same weight as any other degree; it's really a roll of the dice at that point. That being said, an increasing amount of people are opting for online degrees, so it's definitely gaining popularity.

Good Luck

Edited by GuywithPants
typo