Oxford vs Cambridge

bsack

I've been fortunate enough to receive offers to study at both universities (MPhil in International Relations and Politics at Cambridge and MPhil in Comparative Politics at Oxford). However, I'm having difficulty in deciding between the two, as there are real financial implications involved with the decision. For politics, Oxford seems to have a slightly stronger reputation between the two. However, the Oxford course is two years long while Cambridge is one year. Since the costs of both universities appear to be the same, going to Oxford would entail paying literally double the amount I would currently have to pay at Cambridge for essentially the same degree. So I guess my main question is whether Oxford's better departmental reputation is worth paying double for. I mean, this is the department of Bill Clinton and basically every post-war PM, but it doesn't come for free without a Rhodes. Any advice would be quite swell. 

Edited by bsack

The best thing to do is weigh what is most important to you. If you are looking to pipeline into a US program after the MPhil, then Oxford is a better bet. If you want to do a UK or Canadian program, either would do. Also think about where the best fit is. Reconcile those with the increased cost, and be honest with yourself as to whether you can afford Oxford. If you can, the increased expense might be a good investment. If not, then pick Cambridge and work a little harder.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2016 at 0:21 PM, Determinedandnervous said:

The best thing to do is weigh what is most important to you. If you are looking to pipeline into a US program after the MPhil, then Oxford is a better bet. If you want to do a UK or Canadian program, either would do. Also think about where the best fit is. Reconcile those with the increased cost, and be honest with yourself as to whether you can afford Oxford. If you can, the increased expense might be a good investment. If not, then pick Cambridge and work a little harder.

i'd either want to apply to US programs afterwards (unless i got extremely generous funding in the UK), or go straight into industry (also probably in the US). so either way, i'm looking for something that'll work for me in the US. in this sense, i think oxford is somewhat more recognizable. however, i have a hard time justifying spending double for this bump. moreover, i think the master's program at cambridge makes for a superior personal fit. 

• 11 months later...

I was in the same situation a while back, so here goes.

1) Go to whichever gives you better funding.

2) The Cambridge MPhil is much more IR than Comparative, so I'd have a look at the course offerings.

3) Both are well-regarded, at least for UK PhD/DPhil admissions. The Oxford DPhil admits more from its own MPhil than Cambridge does, if you are planning to continue your studies in the UK system.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

I'm currently enrolled in one of these programs and headed to a good American PhD program in the fall.

I would say two things. (1) In my experience, the reputational gap between the two departments (at least for things other than PT and possibly IR) really is quite striking; (2) That being said, and keeping in mind that I don't know anything about you, I would caution against investing significant amounts of money into either program if your intention is to enter a PhD program (immediately) afterwards. That's about as much as I feel comfortable saying publicly, but please shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss more. 

Edited by oakeshott