Needing Honest Advice:

flimsyships

Hi Grad Cafe, 

I am intending to apply to PhD programs in Chemistry (Organic Synthesis, MedChem) for Fall 2017 that will give me the best shot at a career in drug design/development. I am wondering, given my background, what sort of schools I should be aiming for. Below are my credentials and schools of preference. Do you think I should be looking at lower tier schools? Any recommendations? I appreciate any and all help! 

2015 BS in Chemistry from a top 20 ranked (for chemistry) state university in 6 semesters

US-Citizen Applicant

GPA: 3.57, 3.90 in the final 3 semesters

GRE: QR-79th percentile, VR-94th percentile, essay portion not yet graded.

6 months of research in Organic Synthesis, contributed to a publication and will be an author if published. However I am not expecting this to be published before applications are due.

6 months of independent research internship doing synthesis for a mid-size pharmaceutical company.

1 year employed as an analytical chemist for a large CRO.

1 LOR from PI (good rec), 1 LOR from pharmaceutical internship (very good rec), and 1 LOR from my supervisor at the CRO (good rec)

I am confident in my writing skills to write my application essays well enough. 

I do not plan on taking the Chem subject test. 

1. UW-Madison, UC-Davis

2. University of Minnesota, University of Washington, University of Colorado - Boulder

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on good programs/faculty for organic synthesis!

Thanks!

I think your application looks strong for your choices. All the work outside of school is a nice addition, and if the publication is being written, I'd still add it to the CV (just label it correctly). Also, your GRE scores are high, and your GPA is ok. I'd always add one or two backup schools if you don't feel comfortable, but I think you have a fine chance. Make sure where ever you apply, there are multiple PI's you would want to work for!

Good Luck