Penultimate student, where should I go from here? Advice needed!

wsf329

Hello everyone, thanks for checking in. :)

I'm presently a penultimate student that wants to study at a top Masters in Finance/Econ program. (oxford/upenn/harvard etc)

Below are my stats:

===========================================

Current Uni: Chinese University of Hong Kong

GRE: 335/340 (165 Verbal)

GPA: Still in my penultimate year but will graduate university with around 3.5/4.0

Research:

Currently have one with a professor in the management department, though the work is fairly non quantitative and non finance related.

I will work on getting a finance research position in the second semester this year.

Work experience:

Hedge fund working experience.

===========================================

I have not taken the GMAT, but should be able to perform fairly well based on the mock exams I've done.

I understand that there are many issues to be considered, but what can I do going forward to maximize my chances?

Also, will completing the CFA level 1 and 2 / SOA ASA(actuary) programs help?

Note: I do not need a scholarship.

Would love to hear any insights and suggestions, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

You might have more luck with the top US programs. Every top school is a crapshoot, but the US is more holistic, whereas Oxford cares deeply about your GPA (so while your GREs are great, and your overall applicant profile is strong, you still might have trouble). 

I mostly just came to see what you meant by penultimate student. I was imagining "the second to last student," and immediately began thinking about a movie trailer..."In a world where all children can have information digitally uploaded into their brains, two students have to learn the old fashioned way. These are their stories."