Thoughts on being a low income applicant (delurk)

likearollinstone

Awhile back I read an article about how "top schools" are trying to recruit low-income students and those students are deciding to stay local. As I am sifting through Grad programs, there are some things that stuck out as to why.

There are many fields that have only a few options as to what universities have the exact fit of what a student is looking for. In my case, there are only about 30 in the country. 

The "top" schools that do offer the programs one is looking for are very expensive to apply to. Application fees are $100+ in most cases. In order to apply for a fee waiver for the schools that do offer one, the applicant must apply for it months ahead of time. Some as early as March 1st of the year that you are applying (which in most cases is the year before you are hoping to attend). Meaning prospective students need to have made a decision on where they are going to apply early in the junior year.

The GRE is $205 and the fee reduction program only gives a discount of 50% off. The student is also responsible for paying to have scores sent to each school they apply to ($30 per school). Transcripts are expensive to send and in some cases require 2-4 to be sent to the school.

The programs are highly competitive for very few slots. Most only accept 3-5 students out of 300+ applicants.

Moving is expensive and even if the student gets accepted and fully funded through the program, the student will likely have to take out student loans to cover living expenses. Also, Having children makes this process harder because one has to consider schooling, child care, medical and social changes for the entire family. Not to mention jobs for partners/spouse and much higher travel and moving expenses. 

Overall this is an extensive research project and a costly decision, I would advise fellow students who are low income and considering Grad school for fall of 2018 to start looking now to avoid a nervous breakdown next summer when the application deadlines start approaching and budgets are already stretched beyond what one can afford.

Edited by Staara304

• 2 weeks later...

I am a low income, nearly NO income grad applicant. However, I am single with no children. Despite that it still is a struggle applying to schools with all the fees you have to pay, transcripts and app fees. I don't have any money to spare for these things when I have bills to pay and of course, money to pay for the food. I am applying to grad schools to better my life, so I won't have to struggle on a monthly-yearly basis. I always get the concern trolls lecturing me to "quit complaining and apply for scholarships." "Get a job, and pay your own way." It's usually people who have been working for a billion years at the same job they got in a different economy. There are few scholarships for people like me and jobs are scarce in my area; which means that moving to another area where there are jobs is out of the question because I have no savings. I did once, but they were sacrificed for bills and food. I just want to give up on everything some days. I'll stop complaining now, lol. Maybe 2017 will be a better year?. 

Edited by marietyb11

Marietyb11  It is easy for others to say the words, "Apply for scholarships" because I have to wonder how many scholarships they have applied to.  One has to realize that there's a lot of work involved in applying for scholarships that, not only give a good bit of funding, but are also very competitive. In any case, i suggest that you try to find at least one scholarship that you can apply to. Although it maybe competitive, take the chance anyway.

I am also applying to graduate schools for Fall 2017 and applying to two funding opportunities which are both competitive and time consuming. I hope to apply to 1 or 2 other funding opportunities whose deadlines are after January 1st because I will have some time to do so. 

Although I still have parental financial support, for which I am very grateful, I am sympathetic to your situation. Did you consider calling the schools you are applying to and asking for application fee waivers? Staara304 mentioned that there's a program that would pay 50% of the GRE fee. Ask for the name of the program, if you have to take the GREs. I realize that $102 is a lot for someone with nearly NO grad income, but hopefully you can find a way.  I am still trying to figure out, probably to no avail, why ETS needs to charge $27 per school (after the 4 afforded to you) to send scores electronically.

I can only hope that 2017 will be a better year for you. Good luck on your applications for Fall 2017.

• 2 weeks later...

For the fee reduction program, call your financial aid office and ask if they participate in the program. My school does not, so I am putting it off for a few more months in order to save for it. 

I have a family and I can certainly relate to every dime being budgeted out for something. In my process of elimination for my "final list" of schools that I am going to apply to next year, one of the things I am doing is skipping any school that does not have an application fee waiver and is more than $50 to apply. I know that this will decrease my chances considerably but from the standpoint of having a poverty level income and kids that need shoes constantly, $75+ for ONE application is a stretch, when there are multiple applications, it adds up. 

I also agree that ETS charging $27 per score sent is a highway robbery. That is definitely a deterrent for those of us who are on very strict budgets. 

Good luck to everyone applying this year!