17 fall Human Development&Family Studies Appliance

Caroline Jiang

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, asurachm said:

Good luck to everyone applying to HDFS programs :D 

Hi Asurachm,

Thanks! I noticed you have attented to HDFS program in PSU. And I have a question. Last year you mentioned the new students would be directly be prepared to work at certain lab on certain research project. Do you know something different between 2017 and 2016? Since the coordinator told me there will not be a interviewing process this year and new students are not admitted to work with a specific faculty member. 

Happy New Year!

Hi @Caroline Jiang,

All the accepted students will be invited to join the visit weekend to know better about the program, faculty members, and their research programs. During the visit weekend, students will talk to several faculty members that might fit with their research interests (somebody from the program will contact prospective students and ask them to provide names that they might want to talk to during the visit). Prospective students who later on accepted the offer then will be asked to provide their top choices of faculty members to be their first-year advisor. New students will join their first-year advisor's lab and work with him/her for their first year in the program. However, it is possible for the students to switch lab/ advisor later on based on the development of their research interests. The great thing about our program is that students are accepted into the program (not to work for specific faculty). Hence, the funding comes from the program, and they offer flexibility in terms of switching faculties to work with.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck :D        

On 1/3/2017 at 3:46 PM, djpetrie said:

I didn't get anything yet from PSU... not to worried. 

Asurachm, when did you get your initial response? How do you like the program?

I asked everyone in my cohort about this and I found different timeline regarding the initial response from the program. Some students received acceptance notice as early as the end of December. I received the acceptance notice on January 25 (maybe among the last,haha). For your information, last year the program accepted 15 applicants and 8 applicants accepted the offer. Also, we've been informed that visit weekend for this year is going to be in the middle of February. So, I think the program will send notification until the end of January.

I really like the program :D Everyone in here is so nice and supportive. I am amazed by the diversity of the research programs of the faculties and the students. We have almost 40 full faculties (not including research associate and teaching faculties), I think the highest among HDFS programs in the country. Everyone doing different things and everyone doing cool things. Academic wise, the program has a very structured curriculum, especially in terms of the emphasize on the method courses. Also, our building is quite new and really nice (and really close to the downtown!).    

3 hours ago, asurachm said:

Hi @Caroline Jiang,

All the accepted students will be invited to join the visit weekend to know better about the program, faculty members, and their research programs. During the visit weekend, students will talk to several faculty members that might fit with their research interests (somebody from the program will contact prospective students and ask them to provide names that they might want to talk to during the visit). Prospective students who later on accepted the offer then will be asked to provide their top choices of faculty members to be their first-year advisor. New students will join their first-year advisor's lab and work with him/her for their first year in the program. However, it is possible for the students to switch lab/ advisor later on based on the development of their research interests. The great thing about our program is that students are accepted into the program (not to work for specific faculty). Hence, the funding comes from the program, and they offer flexibility in terms of switching faculties to work with.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck :D        

Thanks a lot!

QAQ Still waiting. Expecting good news!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I had an informal phone interview last week (Sunday 1/8). It went really well! My only concern is that my POI said he was sending a quick email to admissions, and they will be reviewing my application the following day (Monday 1/9). Should I be worried that I haven't heard a response yet? 

On 1/1/2017 at 9:39 AM, Caroline Jiang said:

Hi,

My POI in UT-Austin said they had given offers to the top applications . And I was in waitlist. So sad. Would you mind sharing the programs you applied? I also applied HDFS programs in PSU, Uconn, UGA, Pudue, Ohio State. But have not heard anything. 

Hi Caroline - did the email say that they have given official offers of acceptance? I was under the impression that it was just an interview weekend :( 

Edited by 01848p

On 2017/1/17 at 0:38 AM, 01848p said:

Hi Caroline - did the email say that they have given official offers of acceptance? I was under the impression that it was just an interview weekend :( 

Hi,

My POI just said they have given acceptance to some top applicants. But I don't know whether they were official or not. Maybe some other applicants need to attend the interview weekend. Have heard something from UT-Austin?

On 1/18/2017 at 7:58 AM, Caroline Jiang said:

Hi everyone

I  received an offer from Uconn(interviewed by POI last week). I think my POI is so nice. Anyone who also got the offer from Uconn or already studied there?

Congrats @Caroline Jiang!!! :D 

5 hours ago, Caroline Jiang said:

Sorry, I don't know exactly. I think they will have a campus interview for someone in short list.

Good luck!

I emailed and asked them my status yesterday and I am on the wait list there as well! booo :(