Industry jobs for engineering PhDs

Badger123

First time posting here, and am considering getting a PhD in chemical engineering. I understand that getting a PhD lowers the number of positions that one can be considered for in the job market, but that getting a PhD allows one to specialize in a certain area. I was just doing job hunt keyword searches for positions matching my desired specialization, and it did not look like many jobs were available, despite my specialization being a pretty broad topic. I am curious how one typically gets a job in industry after earning a PhD? Is it usually the same as after getting a bachelor's? Or does one rely more heavily on networking to get jobs in their specialization?

Are you looking at the research wing of the companies you are looking to apply to? They occasionally have their own hiring site/job listings. I'm not in your field so I don't know if this fits but it looks like DOW Chemical has a rotational program for new research scientists, I'm sure others have similar programs if they aren't just hiring PhDs as research scientists fresh out of grad school. Your adviser will have contacts in the industry to hook you up with interviews too, so you should have a good amount of ways to find a career post-PhD. 

I have been just doing broad-brush searches on sites like Indeed. I have occasionally looked at individual sites, but not in great detail. Thank you for that tip, I will try being more precise with my searches.

• 4 weeks later...

Searching for job is really a typical task for students whether PHD, graduate or post graduate. You can check out some of your country specific websites like indeed.co.uk for UK, glassdoor is universal and also check Student Circus if you are in UK, will definitely find a solution. I came a cross with this website few days ago and really find it helpful.