Should I explain second masters in SOP?

Hey, I am currently pursuing masters in Economics but I want to pursue a second masters in Development Studies. So, is it necessary to explain the reason for doing another masters in my SOP?

Also, do you think a second masters is a waste of time?

It would probably be advisable to talk about your trajectory. Why do you want to pursue this PhD, and how does this current Masters fit (and other studies) into the bigger picture? I think that an adcom is likely to want to see that you are committed and that you understand what you are getting into. If you seem like your interests are all over the place or you can't articulate why you want the PhD, that would be cause for concern. As for whether this Masters is a waste of time, it depends on why you're doing it. It doesn't sound immediately related to your PhD course of studies, so in that sense it won't help. On the other hand, maybe your particular research questions or interests are somehow relevant, or maybe there is another reason why you're doing it that makes sense, but I can't tell what it is.