Back up plans?

meghanmetier

Does anyone have backup plans incase they don't get in this year? 

Im applying to the New York arts practicing, where you're paired with mid-level artists and work in apprenticeship and do studio/gallery/museums visits with other students in the program, and do crits. Basically it's a program that teaches art students / recent grads how to live and work as an artist. I had a friend that did it and had a good experience. 

http://www.artspracticum.org/

Also I'm asking because I'm planning to apply to the Tyler summer program, but wanted to wait until I heard back from them until I applied. Now understanding how long their process is, do you think it's a bad idea to go ahead and apply ASAP? 

Since both Arts Practicum and Tyler SPI/SSI require references, it's probably best to let them know now that you might need more letters—but you could probably wait until applying. 

If this year isn't it, I have a list of residencies with applications ready to go. The biggest one I'd like to do is this one: BOLT residency.  It's a Chicago based residency with a focus on career development & studios a 15 minute walk from my current apartment. I've thought about moving to NYC or Jersey City and spending next application season focused only on NYC-area schools, but I feel like that would detract from my practice with the stress of trying to find affordable studio space & making new contacts. Would rather focus on pumping out a ton of new work.