Informing adcom of chances of accepting an offer

I_mix

Question

I've been asked to give them an idea of the chances of me accepting an offer from a university, and I'm not sure what to do. I applied to a few other schools, but I haven't heard back from them yet, so I don't know how to respond. Furthermore, by a few, I literally mean 3 schools total, so ... I obviously didn't apply to this school without serious consideration of accepting it, and its weight priority-wise also depends on my other (potential) acceptances. 

Sorry about the jumble of words. 

Edited by I_mix

4 answers to this question

Is there a reason you feel like you should hide the truth? Unless you suspect something shady is happening (no indication of this from your description so far), there's no reason to tell them the truth. Remember that they have way less information than you. They don't know if you already have tons of other offers or if this is your top choice.

So, I would say something that includes

- I am very interested in your school.

- I have applied to 3 schools in total and I am still waiting for results from the other 2.

- If it's your first choice out of the 3, then say so. Otherwise, don't say anything about ranking since it's only 3 schools.

Similar to @TakeruK my approach was to say something along these lines:

- delighted to be admitted and very interested in the school/program/ faculty 

- all things being equal X is my preferred choice (or Y or Z)

- still waiting for Y and Z schools 

- give some details on what would change the calculus (could be funding, could be a school believes you could get through the program in less than five years etc)

- if you're planning on going to the visit days mention that as well  

hope this helps @I_mix

That's a tough spot. You could always go with the great non-answer.

"Dear blah blah blah, 

I am thrilled to be accepted into this program because it is one of my top choices. This also happens to be the first school I have heard back from! As soon as I receive my other decisions I will inform you as soon as possible. Again, I am thrilled to be accepted into this program and look forward to the (insert event they invited you to here OR ask for a campus visit to show interest and investment)."

@TakeruK @cydxb @LWilk

Thanks for the answers, guys. I've made them aware when I first got the email (prior to asking this question on the forum) that I haven't heard back from any school yet, so I guess I just have to ride whatever happens next and follow up on the process.