Importance of matching research interests for terminal MS

thebreath

I'm a music major with 10+ years work experience, mostly in environment and science museums. Most MS biology programs won't look at my application because of that, and those that will require a bit more coursework which I have been working on. I'm at a point where I could apply to some schools for the fall, but the research interests aren't the best match, or take another year of upper undergrad courses and go for a school that could match me with more relevant research. (I ultimately want to get into astrobiology and origin of life research and have been looking at CSU East Bay, with connections to NASA Ames.)

Is it a bad idea to go for a program that will get me started this year, counting on finding an outside thesis advisor or making do with less related research? While it seems more important to do good research and even publish, regardless of subfield, I don't want to be stuck with no advisor or one who doesn't care to advise me.