MA at Harvard or University of Chicago

alwahid

Question

Greetings! I have been accepted (money is the same) for the MA program at both Harvard and University of Chicago. My academic interests are in NW Semitic philology and comparative Semitic linguistics. I don't know which one to choose, and will probably visit them both in the next month. Any insight will be great!

Thanks

2 answers to this question

If you don't have an academic preference for one program over the other, and if the money they offer is the same, then I'd go with Harvard. I think Boston is a better city than Chicago. Also, while UChicago has a stellar reputation, it doesn't have the same name recognition as Harvard, especially internationally. I know that these are superficial factors, but if you can't decide based on substance or financial aid, then there's not much else left to judge. That being said, I am no expert in your intended field of study, so there may in fact be significant differences between programs in terms of academic strength, job placement, etc.

Edited by Elkan

I have spent a lot of time in Boston and minimal time in Chicago, so I am admittedly biased, but although I think University of Chicago sounds like a great school, if all else is equal I would choose New England over the Midwest.  If you have family or friends you would be closer to in Chicago, that might swing it the other way, but other than that, Boston's a pretty great place to be a student -- if you can afford it.  Also, it does seem like Harvard is in a much better part of town than the University of Chicago is, from what I've read.