Rejected from the PhD program but offered a spot on the MS program ...

There's one program that was high on my list (Indiana University, Statistics) that recently rejected my PhD application but offered me a spot on their MS program. Normally I'd say no--I have a MS already as well as a job in data science (that listed having a MS as a minimum requirement in the job listing when I originally applied). But I'm on the fence for two reasons:

1. Apparently most PhD students at this program were MS students at this department--it seems like they look mostly at their MS students when choosing PhD students
  2. They said teaching assistantships "might" be available for MS students. I can't afford to go to grad school without some type of assistantship + tuition waiver, which normally isn't available to MS students.

So do you think it's worth going for it? Or should I consider other options?

Edited by poopyhead

In your situation, I personally would not go for the unfunded MS. However, I think you have more options other than "take this offer" or "give up on pursuing a PhD".

My questions for you would be:

1. What difference would a PhD make in your career trajectory? Are there certain career paths you want to follow that absolutely requires a PhD? How do those differ from the career path you are on now? (i.e. I know that some data science companies try to recruit PhD students, but I think that MS + actual work experience in the field counts for more than a PhD + no experience).

2. When does this school make decisions about TAships? Can you wait until they decide before you decide?

3. Can you reapply to more PhD programs next year? In the meantime, you can do things to improve your profile for schools. You don't have to give up now because you didn't get in this year!

(Edited to add: I started writing my reply with your original question wording, so now the intro part doesn't make sense anymore, but the rest of the general idea of the post is still the same, I think!)

Edited by TakeruK
added a note

1 hour ago, TakeruK said:

(Edited to add: I started writing my reply with your original question wording, so now the intro part doesn't make sense anymore, but the rest of the general idea of the post is still the same, I think!)

Sorry about that, I realized that my original post was quite ranty and pessimistic, so I tried to reword it in a more neutral tone without changing the question.

To address the rest of your post:

1. I would say I'm definitely happy with where I am right now in my career. I have a research-based job in data science, and if I happen to leave my current job I'm confident that I have the necessary background and experience to find another data science position with ease. I've been working for several years now and I have a good idea of where I stand. That said, I'm looking to join a PhD program not because I'm looking to advance my career but because there's so much research going on in applied statistics and data science that I want to participate in. I'm especially interested in data science/quantitative methods in the social sciences and text mining. I'm well aware that as far as my career and financial gain are concerned, a PhD would be detrimental compared to gaining 5 years' worth of industry experience. That's also why I didn't apply to any MS programs--most of them are career/industry-focused rather than research-focused, and I don't think I have much to gain from additional schooling in that regard.
  2. I'm going to ask, although my suspicion is that they'll say something like, "there's no way to know until August."
  3. I guess I could, but I don't know if I want to go through this (very painful) process again ... It was also kinda awkward asking my boss for recommendation letters (basically asking for his blessing to pursue another job that may or may not happen and if it doesn't happen just continue working at my current job as though nothing had happened), and I can see that being even more true the second time around.

Anyway, I'm sounding ranty/whiny again ... I guess my best move right now is to just keep at it at work and then choose whether to try applying again by sometime around August of this year?

Edited by poopyhead