Considering an MA abroad..

kje098

Hi all!

I'm starting my grad admissions process and have been thinking about applying for an MA program in Turkey to study Ottoman/Islamic art and architecture. I focused heavily on modern/contemporary during undergrad so I was hoping to do an MA program more relevant to what I want to study for my PhD.

The thing is, I've been advised that while the schools I've been researching are the best in Turkey, it might be better to just stay in the US.

Any advice? Is it a bad idea to do an MA at a less-renowned school than my BA (I went to a top-5 university in the US)?

Well, it's a hard question to answer. It might be a great experience and it might let you to have a better perspective, but as far as I know, most of the experts on Ottoman/Islamic art and architecture (who are working in America) have done MA/PhD here. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) So I feel doing the MA in America would be more helpful to get into a prestigious PhD program, if that's your final goal. 

Edited by baddie