GW Ed.D or UVA Ph.D

crazynanc

Hi,

I am debating between two options. 

Option 1: GW Ed.d - Half Fellowship while keeping my current job (it's designed for people still working). This would still mean I would need to take out about 15k in loans a year but would be maintaining my salary which could cut down on this amount and still pay all the bills.

Option 2: UVA Ph.D - Full Fellowship (obviously couldn't keep my current job). This would mean no loans, but I would also be losing my salary for 4+ years.

I know most on the board think that you shouldn't pay for your doctorate. My husband and I have both work and have bills to pay (mortgage, etc.). Financially, both options would mean scrimping and saving while I'm in school. But I'm thinking of the opportunity cost of not working for 3 or 4 years. I know how hard it is to get a tenured position and that statistically (realistically) I would be continuing to work in administration instead of being a tenured professor.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Ultimately it's the best fit for your individual situation, but I think you need to weigh the personal importance of getting an EdD vs PhD long-term. Some people are happy with an EdD (a worthy degree), yet others stick their nose up to it when people could work towards a PhD. Also, you mention wanting to remain in administration, so consider which doctorate more people tend to have within your field that are at senior level. 

Additionally, I've heard great things about UVA's program, and while I initially applied for GWU's program, I ultimately withdrew my application after hearing feedback about their program from others. However, you could have a complete opposite experience as I'm sure there are people that disliked UVA or enjoyed their GWU experience. It really all comes back to it's a decision to what makes the most sense for you!

On 3/20/2017 at 1:45 PM, emilb34 said:

Ultimately it's the best fit for your individual situation, but I think you need to weigh the personal importance of getting an EdD vs PhD long-term. Some people are happy with an EdD (a worthy degree), yet others stick their nose up to it when people could work towards a PhD. Also, you mention wanting to remain in administration, so consider which doctorate more people tend to have within your field that are at senior level. 

Additionally, I've heard great things about UVA's program, and while I initially applied for GWU's program, I ultimately withdrew my application after hearing feedback about their program from others. However, you could have a complete opposite experience as I'm sure there are people that disliked UVA or enjoyed their GWU experience. It really all comes back to it's a decision to what makes the most sense for you!

If you don't mind, what did you hear about the GWU program? I've been trying to get feedback but perhaps because everyone I know and asked knows someone at GW I'm not getting all perspectives. Thank you.

Sure! On a positive note, they have awesome assistantships, but this doesn't sound applicable to you since you plan to continue working. However, I've heard others say aside from this feature, the program is sub-par. It's not well-structured and those I know mentioned not being satisfied with the knowledge/education they received in the classroom. Once again though, I'm sure there are students who would speak highly of the program, so take this with a grain of salt.

On 3/23/2017 at 0:54 AM, emilb34 said:

Sure! On a positive note, they have awesome assistantships, but this doesn't sound applicable to you since you plan to continue working. However, I've heard others say aside from this feature, the program is sub-par. It's not well-structured and those I know mentioned not being satisfied with the knowledge/education they received in the classroom. Once again though, I'm sure there are students who would speak highly of the program, so take this with a grain of salt.

Thank you!