VA research position

NeisserThanILook

Hi everyone! At this point, I'm strongly considering taking time off to work as a research assistant at a VA, and I was hoping some of you may have insight into some questions I have. First of all, does anyone have any information on the hiring freeze and whether this applies to research assistants? I looked up a list of the exemptions and they had listed "psychology" and "psychology aid and technician" as exempted from the hiring freeze, but this is pretty vague. Second, for those of you who have worked at a VA or know someone who has, what was your/their experience like? Considering that I would plan on applying to clinical psych PhD programs within the next year or two, do you think that a VA RAship would be a beneficial experience? Thanks in advance for your help!

I worked at an ivy league my first 1.5 years and then the VA for my remaining time as an RA and I loved it. It wasn't in my topic of interest but I feel it allowed me to get experience that helped me stand out in applications. Clinical psyc admissions is competitive but those experiences helped me have options for admissions, so I'm grateful. It also pays very well compared to other positions. I almost convinced myself to stay in the VA instead of applying to grad school. I would advise that RA positions within the VA can look different so don't be afraid to ask about presentation/publication opportunities during interviews. Also, my position as an RA is among the list of exempt positions at the VA. I know my center will be hiring soon so if you're willing to move just message me and when they post the position I can send it to you.

Didn't work for the VA, but I have heard great things from friends.  You get a lot of hands on work and experiences that prepare you for graduate school (and help you get into great programs).

I agree with the poster above.  RA positions vary hugely from lab to lab.  I'm in academia and within my institution there is huge variation, even within the department.  Some RAs have the chance to contribute to publications (or even have a first authored paper) and travel to conferences, while others just collect data and are not given any ownership in it.  If the lab you are considering has a website with current and past RA names, search your PI on pubmed and see if any of their names are on papers.

Thank you both for your input! It's good to hear that you think it would be a good opportunity. I'm actually flying out to the lab I'm considering next week, and I'll be sure to inquire about opportunities for publications or presentations and more information on what kind of work I'll be doing (from both the PIs and current RA). @ThatResearchLady, it's good to hear that your position is exempt - I know at least one of the PIs I would work with is currently looking into it and determining what funding will be available to me. Sadly the proposed NIH budget cut is also making the funding situation a bit uncertain, but I'm really hoping it will work out!