Choosing political methodology as a minor or second major

I will be applying to PhD programs this fall, and am currently finalizing a list of programs I would like to apply to. I intend to major in comparative politics, with a focus on post-communist (particularly Russian) politics. I am considering a minor or second major in political methodology, as I (1) am very interested in this topic as a whole and (2) feel as though it would make me more competitive on the academic job market in the future. First, is it true that a methodology major/minor makes one more competitive? Second, while I have taken courses in political analysis and have a working knowledge of basic statistics, regression, and one software program (R), I have not taken any undergraduate courses solely in statistics. Would admissions committees question my ability to study this at the PhD level?

A few things here:

- A methodology major is completely different. You are in a completely different field and you are also in a completely different job market. You are also limited to fewer schools that can actually train you well enough to get jobs. 

- A methodology minor doesn't really make you anymore competitive because many people are doing it and a minor is essentially meaningless in the grand scheme of things (no search committee gives a crap what courses/minor you did). A much better signal is the type and quality of methods you use in your work/dissertation.

- Minor is completely irrelevant at the application stage. It's the equivalent of checking a box. Quantitative training matters at the application stage, but what you choose as your minor doesn't.

Edited by Comparativist

57 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

Also, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a 'second major' in doctoral programs. 

It is possible in some programs. OSU's program offers even Formal Theory as a second major, for example (although the minor route is probably way more common and the major route involves taking courses outside the department).

5 hours ago, Comparativist said:

Also, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a 'second major' in doctoral programs. 

Many political science PhD programs require a second major. For example, both IU-Bloomington and Duke require PhD students to major in two of the traditional political science subfields. I mentioned those two because I am considering both programs.

I shouldnt have been so overstated. I'll reword my statement: it's not very common for programs to have 'double' majors.

Duke is an oddball in terms of fields. I believe Chicago also has two majors. Most programs do not.

The main point here is that course requirements are generally hoops to jump through in doctoral programs. They have little relevance of how you will succeed on the job market.

Edited by Comparativist

Agree with @Comparativist. Most of the programs I was accepted to would require you to take comps in 2 subfields (and credit out of one more). These are not that important, however--one professor told me that if you passed with honors you were trying too hard. They are boxes to check, but in the job market it matters more what you've written/published and how you sell yourself.