PHD or no PHD that is the question

Baseball_Statistician

Question

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this website so i thought i might provide some background info:

I have a B.S in Statistics( Overall GPA:3.170) and a minor in mathematics; I also am about to graduate with a M.S in Statistics (Overall GPA:3.39). I have had several (3)scientific papers that I have either written or co-authored on. I have not taken the GRE yet but, I am planning on taking it if it turns out I am a good fit for a PHD program in Statistics.  I would I greatly appreciate appreciate any constructive criticism as to what you guys think of me being a PHD candidate in the field on Statistics!

Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by Baseball_Statistician
Errors

2 answers to this question

Well, what would be your goal in attending a PhD program? Inertia should not be it. Do you need a PhD for your chosen career path -- do you want to become an academic, or want to pursue another job where a PhD is required? Is there a particular question or set of questions you want to research, that's really burning in your veins? You have some experience doing research, since you've published some papers -- is this something you enjoy doing and want to do more of? A PhD is a time-consuming 5-year commitment, where you earn a low salary and spend your time immersed in research; if you don't go down that path, you could have a job and presumably make a lot more money, so there is also a potential loss in earnings to consider. So, bottom line, what do you want to do? My opinion about you as a PhD applicant depends first and foremost on your answer to that question.

First of all Thank you for your response fuzzylogician!  I would like to attend a P.H.D program to be an academic that  contributes to the field of  Statistics or Bio-Statistics; I think that a PHD is necessary to teach at Statistics at a University level. I have had luck in publishing articles that are more scientific in nature, but they do incorporate some statistical modeling ( Forecasting using logistic regression Certain aspects about a population based in a underlying condition). I enjoy doing research and working with a team to solve and try to explain certain patterns  in our general population. I figure Since I have done some "research" this might make me a better fit for a PHD program.Since I have worked with facility, I see the change they have on students life's everyday. I would like to be an academic one day providing positive change to the world!