Georgetown

Rory

I'm anxiously awaiting a decision from Gtown, but even if I get in w/fellowship (for IR) I would probably be on the fence. I can't seem to get a good sense of the strength of the department and job opportunities after graduation. What do you all think?

I'm anxiously awaiting a decision from Gtown, but even if I get in w/fellowship (for IR) I would probably be on the fence. I can't seem to get a good sense of the strength of the department and job opportunities after graduation. What do you all think?

I'm also anxiously awaiting my decision. Admissions data from last year is available on their website:

http://government.ge...edu/57323.html. They accepted under 10% in IR last year and funded 2 of the 7 who enrolled (Not sure if that's what you wanted to hear!) My opinion of Gtown is that they seem a bit underrated in the US News rankings (35-40, but Hix has them at 16 as of about 10 years ago and they've gotten better since then). It seems like the faculty is very strong, but they admit (and don't fund) a lot of students, which dilutes the "prestige" of the program, and it also seems like a lot of grads go into policy rather than academia, thus weakening their placement statistics. While I'm obviously a bit biased since it's one of the few departments that hasn't rejected me yet, I believe that Gtown is a fairly strong department (10-15) in theory, and also very strong in IR.

I'm also anxiously awaiting my decision. Admissions data from last year is available on their website:

http://government.ge...edu/57323.html. They accepted under 10% in IR last year and funded 2 of the 7 who enrolled (Not sure if that's what you wanted to hear!) My opinion of Gtown is that they seem a bit underrated in the US News rankings (35-40, but Hix has them at 16 as of about 10 years ago and they've gotten better since then). It seems like the faculty is very strong, but they admit (and don't fund) a lot of students, which dilutes the "prestige" of the program, and it also seems like a lot of grads go into policy rather than academia, thus weakening their placement statistics. While I'm obviously a bit biased since it's one of the few departments that hasn't rejected me yet, I believe that Gtown is a fairly strong department (10-15) in theory, and also very strong in IR.

I realized during this process that applying to Gtown is just ridiculous for someone who has academia in his mind as his priority and i,s right outta school instead of some policy work experience. But then again, it was a 'democratization' temple so I couldn't ignore them :) In my list, they have THE BEST fit for my interests (Middle East, democratization). It hurts to realize it is impossible to get in there with funding :(

They do cover tuition and fees, so you can always work 20 hr/week in a coffee shop instead of spending the same time grading papers.

With minimum wage $8.25 in DC, I think working at a coffee shop, making almost 700 a month (20 hours a week) (7200 annually, excluding summers) is not a sufficient number. I mean, stipends that allow people to 'survive' is around 1500 a month in that area.

Hi all,

I applied to the joint M.A. Security Studies/Ph.D Government program at G-town and am still awaiting their decision. I realize that they've already sent out acceptances to at least 30 students, but I'm wondering if those students were in a different subfield than mine (IR). IR has historically received the most applications so my hope is that G-town is still working through those applications. Does anyone have any info on whether or not an applicant was accepted to IR?

Thanks!

Georgetown has accepted at least one student in IR (I went to undergrad with him). My guess is that they have sent out acceptances to those whom they believe have a chance at funding, and they will admit the rest once they get an idea of how many applicants from the initial pool intend to commit. I'm saying this because I received an email inviting 24 admits to an open house, but GTown's admissions statistics show 92 admits from last year, only 19 of which were accepted, and only 8 of which were funded.

Last year, 276 applied in IR and 27 were admitted. 2 accepted with funding (Yes, that is less than 1% of applicants).

http://government.georgetown.edu/57323.html

Georgetown has accepted at least one student in IR (I went to undergrad with him). My guess is that they have sent out acceptances to those whom they believe have a chance at funding, and they will admit the rest once they get an idea of how many applicants from the initial pool intend to commit. I'm saying this because I received an email inviting 24 admits to an open house, but GTown's admissions statistics show 92 admits from last year, only 19 of which were accepted, and only 8 of which were funded.

Last year, 276 applied in IR and 27 were admitted. 2 accepted with funding (Yes, that is less than 1% of applicants).

http://government.ge....edu/57323.html

Interista, thanks for the response. Yeah, the funding situation makes it brutal for anyone without outside funding or some source of independent wealth. Have they indicated to you whether or not you can expect to receive any funding? And was your friend (IR) offered funding? If your theory proves true, I hope G-town notifies the rest of its accepted applicants in timely fashion...

I was wait-listed for funding and invited to an open house with 23 other admitted students. I graduated last year and I saw my classmate's name on the email list, but I didn't ask him if he received funding. My guess is that 6-8 of the students have been offered funding (this is the number they cited on the website), and the rest of the admitted applicants have been wait-listed for funding, like myself. But there is a good chance that most, if not all, of those offered funding will turn down Georgetown in favor of Harvard, Princeton, etc (since they are the top 6-8 of 500-600 applicants). Then GTown will turn to the wait-list and offer funding until all funded spots have been filled. Then they'll admit everyone else based on how many of the initially accepted applicants choose to attend. There is a slim chance that GTown will fund those in the "second wave" if less than 6 of the 24 admitted thus far choose to attend. The IR applicant from my school might be the smartest kid I knew as an undergrad (I went to a top-10 LAC), so I wouldn't be surprised if he declines the offer in favor of a "top-5" IR program.

Anyone apply to the Conflict Resolution program at Georgetown?

Anxiously waiting.....

- Hi there! Have you heard back from the CR department?! Curious, as I am waiting as well. Are you coming straight from undergrad or with some work experience?

- Hi there! Have you heard back from the CR department?! Curious, as I am waiting as well. Are you coming straight from undergrad or with some work experience?

I have not heard back!!!

I'm getting really nervous, i went for an open house in October and the administrative coordinator of the program told me that they usually send out emails in February informing (accepted) students that the application is being fowarded to the dean of the college - and its a rarity that the dean will reject an applicant the the program accepted. I'm assuming that the snow situation in DC threw things off a bit. But CR is where i want to be!

I'm coming straight out of undergrad.

I have not heard back!!!

I'm getting really nervous, i went for an open house in October and the administrative coordinator of the program told me that they usually send out emails in February informing (accepted) students that the application is being fowarded to the dean of the college - and its a rarity that the dean will reject an applicant the the program accepted. I'm assuming that the snow situation in DC threw things off a bit. But CR is where i want to be!

I'm coming straight out of undergrad.

</edit> I just heard from them..actually. admitted! Good luck!

I got an admissions letter on March 8 saying I'd gotten into the MAGES program, but have yet to receive info from the program itself, let alone funding! Does anyone know how long you typically need to wait before you receive this info? Admission is awesome, but funding will really determine where I go.

Plus, I live in Austin and have to do the whole 'visiting campus' thing, so funding will also determine which schools I'll even visit.....in 3 weeks!! It's becoming a little stressful. Fortunately, GT is awesome and refunding $200 for students who live far away. I have to give them props for that.