Whats the reputation of the Maryland School of Public Policy

Does anyone know the reputation of the MSPP? It is ranked by US news and world report as 9th in the country, but we all know these rankings are subjective. This means its ahead of other D.C. area schools such as GPPI, Trachtenberg, and SPA. Does anyone know about their placement record? If I attend, I would study International Security and Economic Policy.

Does anyone know the reputation of the MSPP? It is ranked by US news and world report as 9th in the country, but we all know these rankings are subjective. This means its ahead of other D.C. area schools such as GPPI, Trachtenberg, and SPA. Does anyone know about their placement record? If I attend, I would study International Security and Economic Policy.

I've heard for international security issues they are one of the best, so it might just depend on the program you are looking at. I personally really like their mentor program. Adding to your question, though - does anyone know the job stats for UMD? I can't find any percentages or data.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also curious about Maryland's reputation, particularly for domestic policy. I was just awarded a huge financial package that will be hard to turn down from them, so I'm very interested to see what the school is like. Anyone else going to the open house on March 25?

I'm also curious about Maryland's reputation, particularly for domestic policy. I was just awarded a huge financial package that will be hard to turn down from them, so I'm very interested to see what the school is like. Anyone else going to the open house on March 25?

Maryland is best know for its International Security and Economic Policy (ISEP) program. Not as well know for domestic policy issues.

Also, I wouldn't mind if you picked a different school, since I am going to UMD for its ISEP program and have been wait listed for funding.

Maryland is best know for its International Security and Economic Policy (ISEP) program. Not as well know for domestic policy issues.

Also, I wouldn't mind if you picked a different school, since I am going to UMD for its ISEP program and have been wait listed for funding.

Haha I'll keep that in mind.

Phillympp,

I was curious at to whether you have heard anything more about the UMD MPP program. I am also interested in the ISEP concentration, but I am having some difficulty finding more information about UMD. Like you, I was also awarded a generous financial aid package to Maryland.

Does anyone have more information about how Maryland would rank compared to Duke or Hopkins for the MPP?

And can anyone attest to the quality of the program?

I would appreciate any information that anyone has.

Phillympp,

I was curious at to whether you have heard anything more about the UMD MPP program. I am also interested in the ISEP concentration, but I am having some difficulty finding more information about UMD. Like you, I was also awarded a generous financial aid package to Maryland.

Does anyone have more information about how Maryland would rank compared to Duke or Hopkins for the MPP?

And can anyone attest to the quality of the program?

I would appreciate any information that anyone has.

I am in the same boat as the two of you, though I am accepted to their public policy and conservation biology programs. UMD looks good because of their overall cost, and I believe their ranking is solid. Their prime location certainly allows you to take advantage of networking, internship, and career opportunities even if their name doesn't carry the "punch" of Harvard, Duke, or Michigan (but who knows? it would be good to get information from professionals in your desired field who can evaluate graduates from these different public policy programs). I wish to major in environmental policy, and though they are ranked about 12th in this area in US News (lower than Indiana, Duke, and Michigan, also programs I was accepted into), I don't believe I have any qualms in attending UMD. Any grad school is, after all, what you put into it; at least I know I'll also have the peace of mind of less debt once I finish!

To the person who is visiting the UMD open house: please post your impressions of the program after your visit! I am wondering whether their curriculum requires an intensive master's project of some sort that would look solid on a resume. It seems they have a policy workshop course, but is it as intense as a project, and does it require a public presentation, research, group work, etc?

Hey, congratulations on being accepted into the UMD (MPP) program with financial aid! I too have been accepted for the program but an awaiting a decision on financial aid. I am planning to attend the Open House on March 25. I too have concerns about the overall reputation of the program and its placement stats. I have also been accepted for the MPP program at Johns Hopkins with some financial aid, though not a lot. I am confused as to which of the two is a better school. Does anyone have an inputs to share???

And for those interested, I shall certainly post my observations and comments about the Open Day at UMD. Hope it will be of some help..

Hey, congratulations on being accepted into the UMD (MPP) program with financial aid! I too have been accepted for the program but an awaiting a decision on financial aid. I am planning to attend the Open House on March 25. I too have concerns about the overall reputation of the program and its placement stats. I have also been accepted for the MPP program at Johns Hopkins with some financial aid, though not a lot. I am confused as to which of the two is a better school. Does anyone have an inputs to share???

And for those interested, I shall certainly post my observations and comments about the Open Day at UMD. Hope it will be of some help..

I emailed the MPP admissions about the Master's thesis any they told me that "Every student has a project course in the second half of their second semester related to their specialization which is an extended study on a specific policy topic. This study could be extended into a thesis, though this is not required." I am unsure how I should feel about this response. If I was applying to a PhD program afterwards, I would need to have started the thesis by that fall.

Hopkins has a very small MPP class of around 30 which could increase this year. Maryland has a large MPP class of roughly 115. Duke has an MPP class of 55. I think this could be a major factor to consider. However, Maryland's large MPP class is not as concerning because I would have an assistantship. On the other hand, Hopkins small MPP class could hamper alumni connections.

Just some food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...

My impression is that it's a very strong program - especially for security and with strong placement records in DC power centers. It's not the type of program that produces consultants so much as developing think tankers and wonks, so it's a bit different from SAIS or Gtown and Elliott. A friend of mine who almost went there (but ended up going to GMU instead) said that it's kind of a higher powered version of GMU's program. Take that however you will.

I did notice that their Dean is Donald Kettl, who used to run the Fels Institute at Penn. He's kind of known as an academic superstar in domestic politics, so it's clear that they are trying to shore up that side a bit. I'd expect that you'll see a regular coterie of Brookings folks coming in and out of UMD from that connection alone.

Overall, very solid (especially in DC policy circles) with a great reputation for security but investing in its domestic policy expertise. You won't see these guys trying to compete with SAIS so much as being kind of a beltway Harris School, if that makes any sense. Probably a really good place for a PhD.

Hey! Did you end up going to the open day? If so, how did it go? Were you impressed?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Did you end up going to the open day? If so, how did it go? Were you impressed?

Hi,

Yes, I did attend the open house, but only for a short period. There wasn't much that I could gauge from the open house. All I attended was address by the dean, director of career services, and an alumni. There was no interaction with the current students. It was a very formal affair. Though the program sounds good, I still would have liked some time for interaction with faculty and students. I wasn't there for long...so it could be that I missed out on it. From the curriculum, the program seems impressive. Also, it has a huge faculty specializing in various areas. Moreover, the class strength in the UMD program is around 120, so it is a big class. However, when you are specializing in a particular field, the class size shrinks to a more intimate size of 20-30 students. I know that UMD has a good faculty for Environmental Policy, definitely better than JHU. I am not sure if I can add more to it. I still am deciding on my school.

• 7 years later...