MPP or MPA/ID from Harvard Kennedy School?

alrosy

What do you know about the MPA/ID program at Harvard Kennedy School? Is it more competitive than the MPP? Has anyone applied this year to the MPA/ID?

Do you think HKS admissions could be coming out by mid march? Any word yet?

What do you know about the MPA/ID program at Harvard Kennedy School? Is it more competitive than the MPP? Has anyone applied this year to the MPA/ID?

Do you think HKS admissions could be coming out by mid march? Any word yet?

I don't know about the relative admission statistics for the two programs. Are you also asking about the curriculum and students in each? If not, ignore my next paragraph.

MPA/ID is very focused - its core is quant-heavy (they joke about completing the work for a PhD in econ without receiving the degree), and those courses take up the entirety of the first year. The MPP offers a variety of concentrations, allowing some students to follow a similar program, but many others take a good deal less econ and stats (and get some electives first year). If you've already got a strong econ background and want to do development work, go for the MPA/ID - it's a rigorous, well-respected program in that field. If you want to do anything else (or aren't already well-versed in math), the MPP is a more flexible program.

Mid- to late-March is traditionally when decisions are released. Trust me, you'll know almost instantly - the forums here fill with posts as soon as the email goes out.

OK thank you!! =)

I have applied to the MPA/ID, since I am from a developing country and I have worked in development in various countries. But I have an MBA and a background in engineering, so now I’m thinking that perhaps the MPA2 would have been a better option… well, I’ll just have to wait for the response.

Are the admission emails all sent on the same day? Admitted, rejected, and waitlisted?

So far how is the MPP for you? How are you doing with funding? Furthermore, please tell us which school has the hottest guys/girls, HKS, HBS, or HLS? jaja just kidding… I’m just trying to relax because I feel sooo nervous. :P

Are the admission emails all sent on the same day? Admitted, rejected, and waitlisted?

So far how is the MPP for you? How are you doing with funding? Furthermore, please tell us which school has the hottest guys/girls, HKS, HBS, or HLS? jaja just kidding… I’m just trying to relax because I feel sooo nervous. :P

If I recall from last year, decisions are released by program - the MPAs heard on a different day from the MPPs.

As for the school more generally, I love it. I'm not getting any aid, but many others are. It's the one big unknown for everyone on the board - financial decisions come out some time after admissions decisions, so there's another limbo period where the admits all wonder if they'll be able to afford it or not.

As for the girls, I'm partial to here. One of my roommates who goes to HBS definitely tries to meet HKS girls when possible, so I think we've got a pretty good reputation... :) Try not to stress; decisions will come when they come.

• 3 weeks later...

I got into MPAID. Do you know what may be the criteria for funding, apart from the original application file?would greatly appreciate if you could shed some light!

I've got no insight for you. My classmates with funding are dedicated, brilliant people - just like those without. I'll cross my fingers for you, though!