PhD in Statistics

GradSchoolNYC

Hello all,

I would really appreciate it if someone would tell me if I have any chance to get into a PhD Statistics Program. I would like to get into a top 20.

I am not the typical student. First of all I will be completing my BA/MA in Economics this fall of 2010. My school gives you the option to take lots of statistics based econometrics class and I did all that.

In terms of classes (note, the class with a (G) after them mean that they were grad courses) I have taken Calc 1-3, Diff eq, Linear Algebra, Advanced Prob Theory (G), Sampling Theory (G), Multivariate Analysis (G), Econometrics 1 & 2 (G), and Time Series Analysis (G).

I am a BA/MA student. My overall GPA (meaning, the GPA of ALL my classes) is 3.55. My MA gpa is a 3.8 and my undergrad GPA is a 3.6.

I am writing a thesis paper which will have a heavy dose of statistics and econometrics.

I plan to do my absolute best of the GRE but haven't taken it... but for simplicity let's assume I score in the 95th percentile in all the sections.

I can get great recommendation letters from 3-5 professors, although only 1 of them will be from the Math department, the rest will be economists.

I participate in the student body, I have been a TA for the past 2 years and I play Tennis, if that matters at all. I have also been in Economics based competitions twice, one time making it to the semi finals.

I am a minority. I don't know if this helps at all...I know it sure does if one goes for the Econ PhD.

Since the earliest I can get into any program is by fall of 2011 I am planning to take an Analysis course (maybe both 1 and 2 if time permits), a computer programming course (I know VBA and a little bit of python but I have never taken any formal classes) and about 2-3 more Stat course...most definitely Math Stat but not really sure what else.

And finally, some schools, like Cornell, offer a MS/PhD track, do I have a better chance getting into those types of programs?

That is about all the information on myself that I can think of right now. Can someone please lend a hand?

Thanks so much in advance!!