figurefive

32 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you go?

• Berkeley
    • Columbia
    • Michigan
    • Northwestern

Hi all,

Although I've got 2 programs that I'm still waiting to hear back from, I'm reasonably confident that I will be deciding between four excellent options for the fall. Given that I'm relatively uninformed about the landscape as I've been working for the past few years outside of academia, I was hoping to leverage all y'all for some insights on the choice between these options. I've outlined the relative pro's and con's as I've started to weigh them; is there anything else that I should be thinking about? Do you disagree or agree with my understanding? I would love if you could also share a bit of your background in your response in terms of your familiarity with the field and/or these programs.

As a matter of context: I'm planning to study 19th and early 20th-century U.S. social and cultural history, with potential focus on Asian American history, the American West, urban history, and/or public history. I did American studies in undergrad as well and would love to continue to touch other fields, especially visual culture / art history. My partner has indicated that he is open to relocating to wherever I go, so I do have to keep in mind job and life prospects for him as well. I'm starting the process of visiting campuses and talking with professors: you might be able to tell that I'm more familiar with some of these programs than others at this point, but I plan to give each a thorough vetting.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Berkeley

• Pro: Top-ranked history program with strong resources in ethnic studies and American art history; two-course load allows for more independent research and work time; flexible academic and advising philosophy (i.e., not tied to a single advisor upon arrival); beautiful California weather; family would be closeby
  • Con: Financial risks given state financial crisis; students have mentioned that there aren't enough thematic seminars
    Columbia
    • Pro: Top-10 history program; good overlap with a number of professors; strong funding package (best of the four); location in NY with its amazing cultural resources; has been uber-proactive in getting to know me (e.g., phone calls from 2 potential advisors, meeting with one of them while she's in town for the weekend)
    • Con: High cost of living in NY; I've heard (thru the grapevine from undergrad advisors) that grad students at CU are "miserable"
      Michigan
      • Pro: Top-10 history program; active interdisciplinary programs with APIA studies and American culture; good overlap with a number of professors working in areas of interest
      • Con: Ann Arbor, though a beautiful and charming college town, offers little potential for my partner

Northwestern

Pro: Active (but nascent) Asian American studies program; lots of folks active in urban historyCon: When I spoke with a grad student from another program, she urged me to drop NU almost immediately because it is "not in the top ten"; similar to Ann Arbor, offers little for my partner (though we could live in Chicago and I could commute to NU); looks like there are more folks working in the 20th than 19th and 18th centuries, which are more aligned to my interests

Evanston is NOT Ann Arbor. Its not some small college town. While it is considered a suburb of Chicago, its just across the street from the city limits. You won't even know you left the city. Evanston to the loop (what we call downtown) is at most a 35 to 40 min train ride which is no big deal to folks in Chicago. Driving in the city could take that long in our notoriously bad traffic. I can't speak on the quality of Northwestern's program but I certainly wouldn't count location or job prospects as a con.

Evanston is NOT Ann Arbor. Its not some small college town. While it is considered a suburb of Chicago, its just across the street from the city limits. You won't even know you left the city. Evanston to the loop (what we call downtown) is at most a 35 to 40 min train ride which is no big deal to folks in Chicago. Driving in the city could take that long in our notoriously bad traffic. I can't speak on the quality of Northwestern's program but I certainly wouldn't count location or job prospects as a con.

I second this--Evanston is a close (adjacent) suburb 15 miles from downtown Chicago, connected by train. On the other hand, Northwestern is not in the top 10, so you should drop it from consideration right away.