To a person who posted an admit to Rochester, can you tell us more about the email you received today? Are they done with notifying or are there more to come later?

Hi, that was me! The email was from the DGS, and had a more formal letter attached, but wasn't the "official" information just yet. None of what I was sent mentioned how far along they are, but I imagine they have just begun. The one indicator they did give stated that campus visits will be scheduled for late March-early April (so they'll have made most of their decisions by then, I'd wager)

According to last year's forum stuff, notifications happen later in March (which makes sense given how late the application deadline was). I wouldn't worry for a while yet, if I were you.

Other than that, the email and attached letter were both really nice, and included financial info (the funding, though I haven't crunched cost-of-living numbers, seems strong).

Hope this helps! If I can answer anything else let me know.

both of you applied to Rochester's PHD program, right? I only ask because I applied to the M.A in English and am curious if the timeline will be similar.

not that i'm starting to get antsy about it or anything...

both of you applied to Rochester's PHD program, right? I only ask because I applied to the M.A in English and am curious if the timeline will be similar.

I think generally M.A. programs notify after the Ph.D. programs, since someone who applies to the Ph.D. program might potentially be admitted to the M.A. program.

Nonetheless, the waiting still sucks. (I, too, applied the to the M.A. program at Rochester.)

Yes, I applied to the Ph.D. program. The weird thing is that there's only one acceptance posted on the Grad Cafe results site in each of the last two years. I wonder if people apply to Rochester, or if they simply neglected to post their results. There are about 50 students in their Ph.D. program, and they should admit about 10 per year. But there's only one admit posted each year! Weirder considering the fact that there's not even an application fee. They tend to send rejections by mail after sending acceptances by email. They also tend to admit Ph.D. rejects to their unfunded MA program later. It seems if you don't hear from them by the end of this week, you're most likely out, I mean Ph.D. applicants.

Hi, that was me! The email was from the DGS, and had a more formal letter attached, but wasn't the "official" information just yet. None of what I was sent mentioned how far along they are, but I imagine they have just begun. The one indicator they did give stated that campus visits will be scheduled for late March-early April (so they'll have made most of their decisions by then, I'd wager)

According to last year's forum stuff, notifications happen later in March (which makes sense given how late the application deadline was). I wouldn't worry for a while yet, if I were you.

Other than that, the email and attached letter were both really nice, and included financial info (the funding, though I haven't crunched cost-of-living numbers, seems strong).

Hope this helps! If I can answer anything else let me know.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep hoping until the end of the week, I guess.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep hoping until the end of the week, I guess.

It'll be great if someone contact the DGS or the grad secretary and ask if they're done with acceptances this year. There's only one acceptance posted each year, and it looks like it's over this year.

It'll be great if someone contact the DGS or the grad secretary and ask if they're done with acceptances this year. There's only one acceptance posted each year, and it looks like it's over this year.

Okay, so I emailed and asked if all accepted candidates had been notified or if more would be notified soon.

Email from grad sec:

"We are on break next week. I expect the Graduate Admissions Committee will finalize their decisions and letters should go out sometime the following week."

So, Rochester folks, we're looking at March 15-19 for letters.

Okay, so I emailed and asked if all accepted candidates had been notified or if more would be notified soon.

Email from grad sec:

"We are on break next week. I expect the Graduate Admissions Committee will finalize their decisions and letters should go out sometime the following week."

So, Rochester folks, we're looking at March 15-19 for letters.

Haha thanks for contacting them for us! I guess she meant the spring break. I guess they're rejection letters by post as their acceptances have already been or are usually sent by email. Their application process is so random, but I can't complain because there was no application fee.

I don't understand; did the grad sec. imply that they had sent out all their acceptances, and only had rejection letters left to send? Or will they send out acceptance letters March 15-19 as well?

ugh, i dont even know why I care about Rochester so much. I used to live there and have a lot of friends nearby, and even though its an unfunded M.A, its only a year long program so I figured I'd like it as an (expensive but somewhat convenient) option. The 4 other schools I've applied to are much better fits ($ and desired location wise) but I'm antsy to hear yes or no just to get this over with.

Haha thanks for contacting them for us! I guess she meant the spring break. I guess they're rejection letters by post as their acceptances have already been or are usually sent by email. Their application process is so random, but I can't complain because there was no application fee.

I don't know why you think all acceptances have been sent already. The grad sec did not say that all acceptances had been sent. In fact, the phrasing of her email implies that final decisions have not yet been made and notifications will not be sent until March 15. I believe that if all acceptances had been sent, she would've simply said so, since I did ask that specifically.

At least, that's what I got out of the email, and I'm choosing to stay positive until further notice. biggrin.gif

I don't know why you think all acceptances have been sent already. The grad sec did not say that all acceptances had been sent. In fact, the phrasing of her email implies that final decisions have not yet been made and notifications will not be sent until March 15. I believe that if all acceptances had been sent, she would've simply said so, since I did ask that specifically.

At least, that's what I got out of the email, and I'm choosing to stay positive until further notice. biggrin.gif

Nighthop, here is my rationale:

1. they are already thinking about the visiting week in late March.

2. There was only one acceptance posted in each of the last two years. Now we already have one acceptance posted by Ali B. I don't think there'll be more. I think the other people who were accepted don't even know the Grad Cafe exists.

3. Normally schools don't interrupt their admission process during the spring break.

But it's a good thing to stay positive!

Nighthop, here is my rationale:

1. they are already thinking about the visiting week in late March.

2. There was only one acceptance posted in each of the last two years. Now we already have one acceptance posted by Ali B. I don't think there'll be more. I think the other people who were accepted don't even know the Grad Cafe exists.

3. Normally schools don't interrupt their admission process during the spring break.

But it's a good thing to stay positive!

I can understand that rationale. Thanks for posting it. I've gotta just go with what the email said and assume they are, in fact, waiting to notify candidates (accepted or not) until after the break. I mean, really, it's all just speculation, but "dum spiro spero." wink.gif

RE: Ph.D. applicants

All the acceptances have been notified by email or phone, and the rejections have already been sent by mail. You will receive them soon.

I got in touch with the DGS.

Good luck with the other schools!

Have they already notified people if they've been waitlisted?

subzoo,

I don't know about the waitlist, but I guess they have also been contacted by email. The rejection letters were put in the mail this Monday or Tuesday.

Best wishes,

Y

But it's Friday already, and I haven't received a rejection letter yet, and I'm only an hour away from Rochester. (sorry to nag, chalk it up to desperation.)

But it's Friday already, and I haven't received a rejection letter yet, and I'm only an hour away from Rochester. (sorry to nag, chalk it up to desperation.)

Ha ha, I don't know what to say. It goes out through the campus mail, so it may take a few more days.

RE: Ph.D. applicants

All the acceptances have been notified by email or phone, and the rejections have already been sent by mail. You will receive them soon.

I got in touch with the DGS.

Good luck with the other schools!

Sure would've been nice to receive the same info when I asked earlier this week instead of some convoluted thing about final decisions being made after the break!

I guess I can expect my rejection letter in the next few days. B)

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up here, but I received (by request) an e-mail from the Graduate Secretary in the English department at Rochester, and she simply said that they are on break this week, and that the adcom should finalize its decisions and send letters out next week. Frankly, I don't see how any of these schools can have truly finalized their decisions until they know how many spots they have open - which depends largely on how many of the accepted students enroll.

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up here, but I received (by request) an e-mail from the Graduate Secretary in the English department at Rochester, and she simply said that they are on break this week, and that the adcom should finalize its decisions and send letters out next week. Frankly, I don't see how any of these schools can have truly finalized their decisions until they know how many spots they have open - which depends largely on how many of the accepted students enroll.

That the same reply she gave me when I asked, but other posters have said their info is that all accepted students have been contacted via email or phone already. I just don't know any more.