Passport validity 6 months after planned stay in US?

On the official (State Department or Immigration, I forget which) website there is a list of things one has to have to apply for an F-1 visa. This list includes a passport that will be valid for six months beyond the intended stay. My current passport has about 2 years left. But, if I got a brand new one, it still wouldn't meet this requirement.

In fact, it's impossible, no? The average PhD is five years (or longer!), and most people will complete their visa stuff a couple of months before they go to the US. So to fulfil this requirement, one needs a six year passport. Passports these days are valid five years.

Do they actually enforce this? Has anyone had any problems?

I've never heard of that being a problem. In fact, as far as I know, if your passport expires while your visa is still valid, you won't need to get a new visa (as long as it's not damaged in any way), you can just carry your old passport (with the visa) alongside your new passport.

In fact, it's impossible, no? The average PhD is five years (or longer!), and most people will complete their visa stuff a couple of months before they go to the US. So to fulfil this requirement, one needs a six year passport. Passports these days are valid five years.

Depends, my country normally issues passports valid for 10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

its not a problem...the embassy will give you as long as they see fit (probably the expiration date of your passport), when you get a new passport, you can travel outside the US, renew your visa and come back...problem solved...or if you decide not to renew your visa (no problem), so long as your i-20 and passport and up to date/valid, you are good.

i would advise: renew your visa

The validity of the passport and the validity of the visa are two separate things. Your visa will remain valid until its expiration date -- normally the duration of your program -- regardless of the expiration date of the passport it's in. After your passport expires and you get a new one (and make sure whoever issues it gives you back your old passport!), you'll simply have to carry both the old passport which contains the visa, and the new passport which is valid. It's absolutely no problem.

Edited by fuzzylogician

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just like fuzzy logician says. You just have to bring both.

My ex had an Iranian passport and it does not have a 10 year lifespan. Visa from the UK outlived the passport. He went home and got a new one, but had to keep the old, so needed both.

It can be done and is done, so no worries!