Regarding EE Master's Program Decision Gatech vs UIUC vs CMU

gtgblows

I graduated from Georgia Tech undergraduate last year and applied to Stanford, Berkeley, CMU, UIUC, and Georgia Tech.

I believed I had a legitimate shot at Stanford and Berkeley beside my GPA (since GPA is really gimped in Georgia Tech)

560 Verbal / 780 Quantitative / 4.0 Writing

Overall GPA: 3.4 (This is high honor from Georgia Tech)

Major GPA: 3.6

Got acceptance letter from UIUC, CMU, Georgia Tech master program but my dream schools are Stanford and Berkeley. I wonder if my recommendation letters / SOP were bad or graduate school admission just see GPA digits.....

Anyway, what I would like to know is that I know CMU is great in computer science area but does that great education in CS reflects on electrical engineer not just computer engineer program? Concentration that I am going for are Telecommunication and RF engineer (Heavily on RF wireless communication side).

I don't know much about UIUC but I know by ranking, Electrical Engineer is higher in UIUC than Georgia Tech. I will go visit UIUC this month to see if this school is for me but I would like to know from someone who goes to UIUC EE program.

Also, anyone changed his/her master program from one school to another while in master program? I am considering to retake my GRE and get my verbal above 600 to increase my chance of getting into other schools.

• 2 weeks later...

I graduated from Georgia Tech undergraduate last year and applied to Stanford, Berkeley, CMU, UIUC, and Georgia Tech.

I believed I had a legitimate shot at Stanford and Berkeley beside my GPA (since GPA is really gimped in Georgia Tech)

560 Verbal / 780 Quantitative / 4.0 Writing

Overall GPA: 3.4 (This is high honor from Georgia Tech)

Major GPA: 3.6

Got acceptance letter from UIUC, CMU, Georgia Tech master program but my dream schools are Stanford and Berkeley. I wonder if my recommendation letters / SOP were bad or graduate school admission just see GPA digits.....

Anyway, what I would like to know is that I know CMU is great in computer science area but does that great education in CS reflects on electrical engineer not just computer engineer program? Concentration that I am going for are Telecommunication and RF engineer (Heavily on RF wireless communication side).

I don't know much about UIUC but I know by ranking, Electrical Engineer is higher in UIUC than Georgia Tech. I will go visit UIUC this month to see if this school is for me but I would like to know from someone who goes to UIUC EE program.

Also, anyone changed his/her master program from one school to another while in master program? I am considering to retake my GRE and get my verbal above 600 to increase my chance of getting into other schools.

First of all, how are your funding situation? Did you get any funding offer from Georgi Tech or UIUC?

The ranking for Georgia Tech EE is 6th and UIUC is 4th. Since the gap isn't severe, I would go with the place where you can get more funding.

Since you went to Georgia Tech for an undergrad, you know more faculties and ultimately you will have more chances of getting a funding. Eventhough it didn't come with your admission, you have better contacts than people from other schools.

If you believe the funding situation is even for both schools, UIUC isn't bad but there is a big difference between living environment in Urbana Champaign and Atlanta. It's a severely rural place, 2hours away from airport and major city (Chicago).

Ironically, engineering students don't have enough time to enjoy the luxury of environment, but if you do care, you might want to think about that point.

Best,