Georgetown SSP

Bilk

Has anyone received a decision or update from the Georgetown SSP? I haven't heard from them at all except back in January to let me know they received my application. I did see on the results search, however, that one person has received a rejection.

Anyone else have an update on this?

Has anyone received a decision or update from the Georgetown SSP? I haven't heard from them at all except back in January to let me know they received my application. I did see on the results search, however, that one person has received a rejection.

Anyone else have an update on this?

I spoke to someone in admissions and they said that they wanted to have all of the decisions out by the end of next week. She said that they only release the info. through US mail so I am not sure if they will not be sending an email.

I spoke to someone in admissions and they said that they wanted to have all of the decisions out by the end of next week. She said that they only release the info. through US mail so I am not sure if they will not be sending an email.

Thanks for the info!

I guess I'll keep watching the mailbox :)

Edited by Bilk

If my calculations are correct, a lot of decisions (acceptances) were made last year on March 20th, the 3rd Friday of March.  And if this should transfer over to this year, TODAY is the 3rd Friday of March.  

Make your own inferences. :teeth chatter:  :unsure:

If my calculations are correct, a lot of decisions (acceptances) were made last year on March 20th, the 3rd Friday of March. And if this should transfer over to this year, TODAY is the 3rd Friday of March.

Make your own inferences. :teeth chatter: unsure.gif

grrrrr... Is it just me? Or are there any others who were sure that today was the day for SSP decisions to be released? As we passed COB on EST I realized I could probably stop refreshing my e-mail every 20 minutes. Oh Georgetown, why dost thou toy with me?

grrrrr... Is it just me? Or are there any others who were sure that today was the day for SSP decisions to be released? As we passed COB on EST I realized I could probably stop refreshing my e-mail every 20 minutes. Oh Georgetown, why dost thou toy with me?

I believe the MSFS emails went out after COB (8pm). They are probably automated. Hopefully they arrive tonight, but I doubt it. When I spoke to SSP on Monday they said "within the next 2 weeks".

I believe the MSFS emails went out after COB (8pm). They are probably automated. Hopefully they arrive tonight, but I doubt it. When I spoke to SSP on Monday they said "within the next 2 weeks".

You know, come to think of it- when I was accepted to SSP back in 2003 I actually received the e-mail at night. And I think it was a Friday, too. Of course, that was 7 years ago and not necessarily indicative of how they'll release decisions this year. So bloody frustrating. Whether it be a yay or a nay I just want an answer.

You know, come to think of it- when I was accepted to SSP back in 2003 I actually received the e-mail at night. And I think it was a Friday, too. Of course, that was 7 years ago and not necessarily indicative of how they'll release decisions this year. So bloody frustrating. Whether it be a yay or a nay I just want an answer.

According to their Web site, SSP only gives notifications by snail mail.

http://cpass.georgetown.edu/ssp/prospective/admissions/

According to their Web site, SSP only gives notifications by snail mail.

http://cpass.georget...ive/admissions/

I think that's just something they say so that they don't get 500 applicants calling them up and asking about whether they were accepted or not. If you google G-town's SSP in the Results Forum you'll see that the majority of accepted applicants were notified through e-mail in previous years. And like I already mentioned, I was notified via e-mail when I was accepted several years ago. Most programs put some blurb on their website about how they'll only notify applicants through postal mail, but many of them actually release decisions via e-mail.

I checked the results search and it looks like someone got a rejection in the mail on the 20th. Anyone else hear anything?

Nothing here. Would LOVE to hear something tomorrow, if only so that I can stop pouncing on my laptop the moment that I wake up every morning. It's a very jarring way to start the day...

Nothing here. Would LOVE to hear something tomorrow, if only so that I can stop pouncing on my laptop the moment that I wake up every morning. It's a very jarring way to start the day...

Haha, better than me at least.  I sit at work with a gmail tab open.  Anytime it updates and says Inbox 1, I freak out.  Usually it's a CircuitCity/Staples sale.

I was the one who posted the rejection. I live in DC, so perhaps the letter had a shorter delivery time than yours. I did get into the similar program at GW and am waiting to hear on Hopkins. Do you guys mind me asking you your stats?

I was the one who posted the rejection.  I live in DC, so perhaps the letter had a shorter delivery time than yours.  I did get into the similar program at GW and am waiting to hear on Hopkins.  Do you guys mind me asking you your stats?

660q/630v/3.59/political science

worked as a journalist/research assistant

I wanted to apply to GW as well, but I only did macro, not micro.  And SAIS seems very heavy on the econ which was a turn off.  I'm in at Denver/Pitt... but I'll take Georgetown if they let me in.

Do you mind if I ask yours?  

Edited by HopefulIR

660q/630v/3.59/political science

worked as a journalist/research assistant

I wanted to apply to GW as well, but I only did macro, not micro. And SAIS seems very heavy on the econ which was a turn off. I'm in at Denver/Pitt... but I'll take Georgetown if they let me in.

Do you mind if I ask yours?

2.85 GPA (obvious weak point) from the Naval Academy.

Everything else was strong:

(3.7+ in major)

790Q/730V

2.5 years in Japan working with US Navy 7th Fleet

1 year in Iraq doing counter-IED operations (awarded Bronze Star)

Currently work in both the Pentagon and White House

Excellent Recommendations

SOP vetted by multiple people

Applied and was rejected for Spring '10. I asked Tiffany what I could do to improve my application. She told me to keep everything (SOP included) as is as they loved every part of my application except for my grades. She then said to submit a GRE (I was unable to take it the first time around as I was deployed to Iraq) and that she would get me in. Based on her advice, I took GRE, scored 1520, and reapplied. It looks like it wasn't enough.

Good luck to the rest of you guys! Perhaps we will see eachother at a policy forum in DC.

2.85 GPA (obvious weak point) from the Naval Academy.

Everything else was strong:

(3.7+ in major)

790Q/730V

2.5 years in Japan working with US Navy 7th Fleet

1 year in Iraq doing counter-IED operations (awarded Bronze Star)

Currently work in both the Pentagon and White House

Excellent Recommendations

SOP vetted by multiple people

Applied and was rejected for Spring '10.  I asked Tiffany what I could do to improve my application.  She told me to keep everything (SOP included) as is as they loved every part of my application except for my grades.  She then said to submit a GRE (I was unable to take it the first time around as I was deployed to Iraq) and that she would get me in.  Based on her advice, I took GRE, scored 1520, and reapplied.  It looks like it wasn't enough.

Good luck to the rest of you guys!  Perhaps we will see eachother at a policy forum in DC.

holy jesus, annapolis grad/super GREs/veteran status AND STILL NO ACCEPTANCE?  now I really know I have no chance.  Disqualifying you on culmulative GPA is terrible, since you did 3.7 in your major.  Assuming you're a LT/LTDR and you still didn't get in, they must be taking admirals only=[

Haha, thank you for your kind words. It is a shame that C's in Electrical Engineering and Thermodynamics -required Academy courses- might have kept me from Georgetown (especially since I earned As in the two courses they recommend: Micro and Macro). I am sure, though, that there were other service academy grads and/or veterans that applied and had much better grades. As long as you beat out other applicants in your field, I am sure that you will be fine.

As for me, I am already excited about enrolling in classes at GW. As always, good luck.

Haha, thank you for your kind words. It is a shame that C's in Electrical Engineering and Thermodynamics -required Academy courses- might have kept me from Georgetown (especially since I earned As in the two courses they recommend: Micro and Macro). I am sure, though, that there were other service academy grads and/or veterans that applied and had much better grades. As long as you beat out other applicants in your field, I am sure that you will be fine.

As for me, I am already excited about enrolling in classes at GW. As always, good luck.

Haha, thank you for your kind words.  It is a shame that C's in Electrical Engineering and Thermodynamics -required Academy courses- might have kept me from Georgetown (especially since I earned As in the two courses they recommend: Micro and Macro).  I am sure, though, that there were other service academy grads and/or veterans that applied and had much better grades.  As long as you beat out other applicants in your field, I am sure that you will be fine.  

As for me, I am already excited about enrolling in classes at GW.  As always, good luck.

May I ask what concentration in SSP did you apply for?  I would suspect SSP tries to spread out its admits evenly (or not) between them.

Haha, better than me at least. I sit at work with a gmail tab open. Anytime it updates and says Inbox 1, I freak out. Usually it's a CircuitCity/Staples sale.

Hahaha...I do the same thing, only it's usually barnes & noble that makes my heart start beating out of my chest. Suppose it's either Denver or SIS for me. Still going to keep my fingers crossed for SSP though...

Just got a very nice acceptance e-mail from Daniel Byman, director of SSP. I'm surprised they sent me an e-mail rather than just sending me to the website like everyone else. Financial aid to follow in the next two weeks (I've heard that before).

I guess I had a pretty good year, because this means I got into every school I applied to: SIPA, Fletcher, Elliot, SIS, SAIS, and Georgetown. I haven't gotten any serious cash from anyone, but am waiting to hear about financial info from Elliott and Georgetown. I suppose that big $$ would sway me to either. If I still end up without any decent offers, though, I think I'll be heading to SAIS. Just wish I could finally have this whole process over with, because I think it's going to come down having to make a big decision.

Just got a very nice acceptance e-mail from Daniel Byman, director of SSP. I'm surprised they sent me an e-mail rather than just sending me to the website like everyone else. Financial aid to follow in the next two weeks (I've heard that before).

I guess I had a pretty good year, because this means I got into every school I applied to: SIPA, Fletcher, Elliot, SIS, SAIS, and Georgetown. I haven't gotten any serious cash from anyone, but am waiting to hear about financial info from Elliott and Georgetown. I suppose that big $ would sway me to either. If I still end up without any decent offers, though, I think I'll be heading to SAIS. Just wish I could finally have this whole process over with, because I think it's going to come down having to make a big decision.

congrats! no email here... now I will dread opening my mailbox when I get home tonight. :X