Pickering

IR Dude

Anyone out there get the magical phone call or e-mail?

or...

Anyone out there know an approximate date we'll find out?

I'm not holding my breath on this one, but it'd be nice to tie up loose ends here.

Anyone out there get the magical phone call or e-mail?

or...

Anyone out there know an approximate date we'll find out?

I'm not holding my breath on this one, but it'd be nice to tie up loose ends here.

Hey, I applied as well. Wasn't expecting to hear until mid to late April. Let me know if you hear anything different. Also, just wondering what other kind of candidates have applied to Pickering...Im going to post my stats, if you feel comfortable posting yours, awesome but if not don't worry about it.

I am a graduating senior from Syracuse University, BA in International Relations and minor in Spanish. GPA-3.84 GRE- Verbal: 520 Math: 530 Writing: 3.5 (awful scores I know, Im sure they will be my downfall)

I got accepted to Syracuse's Public Diplomacy program and rejected from SAIS and Gtown. (should we contact Pickering and let them know we we're accepted into a grad program?)

I lived in Brazil for a year of HS and am fluent in Portuguese, also spent a year abroad in Europe in college. One semester on an EU studies program in Germany and one semester in Dublin on a peace and conflict studies program.

This past summer I interned with State at the US Consulate in Rio de Janeiro (this rocked and solidified my goal to be an FSO).

Spent last semester in DC on my schools DC semester program, interned with the OAS under an ambassador.

I thought my essays were solid (but after my Gtown and SAIS rejections Im not so sure) and I got two recommendations from current FSOs who used to be Pickering fellows.

So thats my life in a nut shell, i hope I am competitive enough to get it because I def cannot afford grad school without it and it would be a huge helping becoming and FSO....but like you said, Im not going to hold my breath.

-mike

PS- Im white but very poor hahah....not sure if this matters but I think it did for the Rangel

i applied and yeah, i'm not expecting to hear until mid-april based on last year's timeline. here are my stats:

Program for Fall '10: Columbia :: SIPA :: MPA in Development Practice

Undergrad: Fordham University (Bronx), BS in Marketing 3.4 overall, 3.7 major (+ a bunch of distinctions/activities/service)

GRE: Quant 730 (78%ile) Verbal 620 (89%ile)

Professional Experience: 2 years in market research, 2 years in peace corps (enviro/business volunteer), plus several internships in the private sector

LORs: One was from my int'l business professor in undergrad and the other was from a current national urban fellow.

Demographics: i'm a Black female from a very poor background, first in family to get a college degree, single parent household, EFC of $0

Languages: Decent Hindi (which is a DOS critical needs language), beginning Urdu, novice French

Other: I have an extensive background in domestic and international service which i think bodes well for the public diplomacy track.

i'm hoping to at least get to the interview stage. columbia is very expensive! in my application, i mentioned my interest in the role of diplomacy in environmental protection and conservation. i'm particularly interested in the role of the DOS's Bureau of Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs in sustainable development and fostering strong bilateral relationships.

good luck to all!

keondra.

3.4 "public Ivy"

1250: 5 GRE :(

5 years working experience [1 management (US), 2 Peace Corps (Africa), 1 county government (US), 1 education (Asia)]

languages [African - fluent, critical Asian - intermediate, Spanish - beginner]

letter of rec. [PC Country Director, Education Supervisor in Asia]

I've heard that competition is fierce for everyone, but particularly difficult for white males, given that the State Department has publicly disclosed that recruiting females and minorities has been a priority in recent years - hence not holding my breath.

I know two Pickering grads now and both were completely shocked when they heard they were candidates for interview... so mmclean0260, don't worry too much about your stats or where you got in, I think other factors may play a more important role. Keondra, not to get your hopes up or anything, but you sound like a shoo-in, especially with the 2 critical languages.

Good luck to both of you! I'm looking into ROTC to pay for school. That might be kinda fun anyhow.

Program for Fall '10: Deciding between SAIS, SFS, Fletcher, and Denver

Undergrad: Top 10 public, B.A. in Anthropology, 3.38 GPA

GRE: Quant 770 (88%ile) Verbal 730 (99%ile)

Professional Experience: 4 years in Peace Corps (TEFL volunteer, lots of secondary projects)

LORs: One from a Chinese professor/counterpart, one from PC country director.

Demographics: White male, lower middle class background, EFC of $0

Languages: Good Bulgarian, Good spoken Mandarin, Novice Spanish and Japanese

Other: I'm really hoping my PC background, GRE scores and strong LORs will get me an interview. It looks like a bunch of other PCVs applied though so it's probably not as unique as I was hoping. Good luck to you all!

Anyone have any idea just how selective it is?

I believe the competition to be pretty stiff

If any of you hear from the Pickering folks, please let the rest of us know!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Keondra! Good luck in the interview. I'm told there aren't many finalists (maybe 30-40) so I imagine an e-mail is sent out to all of them at the same time.

Which means my e-mail saying, "No" is probably being worded right now in just the right way.

I don't know the student's details, but a senior from Columbia U whom I met at Yale's visiting day on Monday said that she was already accepted as a Pickering Fellow.

I don't know the student's details, but a senior from Columbia U whom I met at Yale's visiting day on Monday said that she was already accepted as a Pickering Fellow.

Sounds like she just wanted to get your number.

Sounds like she just wanted to get your number.

It's a shame that already enrolled grad students such as myself can't apply for Pickering Fellowships; I sure wouldn't mind having an FSO position aleady lined up plus gobs of funding for my second year.

It's a shame that already enrolled grad students such as myself can't apply for Pickering Fellowships; I sure wouldn't mind having an FSO position aleady lined up plus gobs of funding for my second year.

Did you take the FSOT yet Cornell? I hear it's best to take it and get the application process going at least one year before you finish school. As I'm told, the background check alone can take up to a year depending on how many exceptions you have and how much international experience you have. (Or... does your internship require that you get Top Secret security clearance? Cause that'd be crazy helpful.) Even then, assuming you've made it through all the hoops, depending on your placement on the roster, it can take up to another year before you're offered an actual position or nothing at all.

Also, I don't think the Pickering itself guarantees an FSO position. If they fail the FSOT they fulfill their commitment by working for the State Department Civil Service.

Look at me, a Pickering know-it-all... and I'm not even gonna get the damn thing...

No email for me. sigh. It seems I won't be recieving any other sort of fellowship or funding beyond loans either. I am seriously starting to consider deferring (either GTown or GW) for a year, and doing a teaching job in Iraq. I wonder if I'd be allowed to re-apply for Pickering then?

There are graduate and undergraduate Pickerings. That probably explains it.

Also, if you are a Pickering and can't pass the FSOT or the Oral Examination, you just serve out your commitment as a Foreign Service officer and do not receive tenure. Some people do not want to continue with the FS after their commitment so you are not forced to actually take the exam.

Got my, "No." e-mail today.

"The finalists were announced last week. Unfortunately you weren't one of them."

At first I was like... "Ouch... my face..." But then after a while I thought... Yeah... If my job was to tell a few thousand people, "No. Now stop asking me questions." every year... I suppose my responses would look similar, if not, worse than that.

So there it is. Loose ends are tied up. Goin' to SAIS and payin' full price.

Got my, "No." e-mail today.

"The finalists were announced last week. Unfortunately you weren't one of them."

At first I was like... "Ouch... my face..." But then after a while I thought... Yeah... If my job was to tell a few thousand people, "No. Now stop asking me questions." every year... I suppose my responses would look similar, if not, worse than that.

So there it is. Loose ends are tied up. Goin' to SAIS and payin' full price.

Did you email them directly and ask or was this a form email?

thanks!