GWU with Funding

I just received 24k at GWU. I'm also in at various other schools with minimal funding (Georgetown, Denver, Syracuse). I was not impressed by the admissions office when I visited, nor was I impressed with the current student that I met, and I left with a bad impression of the school. Does anyone have any thoughts or input into this program? I want to end up working in the Federal Government and I expressed interest in studying U.S. Foreign Policy towards development in Latin America. Any input is appreciated, I'm trying to not base my decision on a bad admissions experience.

I just received 24k at GWU. I'm also in at various other schools with minimal funding (Georgetown, Denver, Syracuse). I was not impressed by the admissions office when I visited, nor was I impressed with the current student that I met, and I left with a bad impression of the school. Does anyone have any thoughts or input into this program? I want to end up working in the Federal Government and I expressed interest in studying U.S. Foreign Policy towards development in Latin America. Any input is appreciated, I'm trying to not base my decision on a bad admissions experience.

I wish I was in your position! Just got word that there's no funding at GW for me. I had been leaning towards GW (over Georgetown SSP and American) because of the strength of its study abroad program (I want to do a semester in India) and its convenient location. I guess those are my big reasons for liking GW - still trying to decide between there and GTown (where I haven't heard anything about funding yet, but I'm assuming I won't get any).

may i ask you about your stats? just curious because i didn't receive funding.

I'm a current GWU ESIA student and I'd say that your impressions are about right. The school's administration is definitely unimpressive, especially in regards to the admissions and advising offices. The students are about 20/40/40, that is, 20% are incredibly impressive, articulate and will go on to do great things. 40% are what you'd expect from a school with the location and ranking. 40%, well, let's just say you wonder how they got there.

I've been most impressed by the breadth of classes and the quality of the professors at ESIA. Seriously, I've had some great classes this year with top notch professors with incredible credentials, those classes have made it all worth it.

If I could sum up GWU/ESIA, I'd say you'll get out of it exactly what you put into it. If you put in to the effort, you'll walk out with top-notch recommendations, a great education, excellent peer-contacts and competitive for any IR job/program/fellowship in the country. If you don't make an effort, you'll be one of that bottom 40% and feel that you've wasted your money.

Given the amount of funding you've gotten, I say it's a no-brainer. For what it's worth, I was admitted to GT/MSFS this year (I applied for some complex reasons, don't let it make you think I was unhappy at GWU) and I'll be turning them down to stay where I am.

I'm a current GWU ESIA student and I'd say that your impressions are about right. The school's administration is definitely unimpressive, especially in regards to the admissions and advising offices. The students are about 20/40/40, that is, 20% are incredibly impressive, articulate and will go on to do great things. 40% are what you'd expect from a school with the location and ranking. 40%, well, let's just say you wonder how they got there.

I've been most impressed by the breadth of classes and the quality of the professors at ESIA. Seriously, I've had some great classes this year with top notch professors with incredible credentials, those classes have made it all worth it.

If I could sum up GWU/ESIA, I'd say you'll get out of it exactly what you put into it. If you put in to the effort, you'll walk out with top-notch recommendations, a great education, excellent peer-contacts and competitive for any IR job/program/fellowship in the country. If you don't make an effort, you'll be one of that bottom 40% and feel that you've wasted your money.

Given the amount of funding you've gotten, I say it's a no-brainer. For what it's worth, I was admitted to GT/MSFS this year (I applied for some complex reasons, don't let it make you think I was unhappy at GWU) and I'll be turning them down to stay where I am.

Mister,

Thank you so much for the input. My experience with the administration was so horrible but the school does have such a great reputation and seems like a good deal. I appreciate the insight.

• 3 weeks later...

fsowannabe,

I visited GWU a week ago and left with a bit of a similar impression. I was content with the administration, not thrilled but not disappointed. However, I sat in on a class I'd have to take as part of my degree path there which was in a very cramped classroom in a building 3 blocks away with what seemed to be an uninterested and unmotivated group of students.

I was much more impressed by SAIS, but I think that's because I got to sit in on Roett's class on Brazil, whereas I sat in on an Int'l Political Economy class at GWU. Having a Latin American focus myself, I think it isn't a very fair comparison and I wish I would've had time to go talk to the Latin American Studies program at GWU.

All that said, I think MisterCharisma is right, I do still think it is a great school with the great opportunities that the name and area afford it. However, I just got back from Denver and I left there with the impression that Korbel is a stronger progam than Elliott despite what rankings and location might lead you to believe.

fsowannabe,

I visited GWU a week ago and left with a bit of a similar impression. I was content with the administration, not thrilled but not disappointed. However, I sat in on a class I'd have to take as part of my degree path there which was in a very cramped classroom in a building 3 blocks away with what seemed to be an uninterested and unmotivated group of students.

I was much more impressed by SAIS, but I think that's because I got to sit in on Roett's class on Brazil, whereas I sat in on an Int'l Political Economy class at GWU. Having a Latin American focus myself, I think it isn't a very fair comparison and I wish I would've had time to go talk to the Latin American Studies program at GWU.

All that said, I think MisterCharisma is right, I do still think it is a great school with the great opportunities that the name and area afford it. However, I just got back from Denver and I left there with the impression that Korbel is a stronger progam than Elliott despite what rankings and location might lead you to believe.

Thanks for the input La Voz, I'm visiting Georgetown on Monday but don't have time to visit GWU, I appreciate the input. PM me if you ending up going to GWU, maybe we'll be classmates!