importance of your subfield

ambiguity

How important is it to match with your subfield vs. the department as a whole?

I have been accepted to a program with a small Theory contingent (4 people out of 25ish faculty total). I really liked all of them at recruitment weekend, and my interests really match up well with one person in particular. Outside of Theory though, I don't match up at all. It is a very quant-focused department and I don't do quant based on both personal interest, as well as on philosophical (and epistemological!) grounds. Given that I have to do a minor field (probably IR) with people who do exclusively quant work in areas I'm not interested in, is this a problem? I have the alternative of a program with a larger Theory contingent (about 10 out of 35ish faculty), and the other fields are all qualitatively and theoretically based.

Should I consider this a major obstacle for school A - how much should this factor into my decision?

Sorry for not naming the schools, but I want a more general opinion - thanks!

Hard to say without knowing anything more specific about the schools! An important factor might be other departments: If School A has a good crowd of theoretically-minded people outside of Poli Sci, it might be fine that within the department there are few theory-minded people; otherwise, you might not have a big enough community with which to discuss your interest. In School B, if there aren't that many theoretically-inclined people you'd want to work with outside of the PS department, you might end up feeling like you can never expand out of the department... Another factor: You haven't said anything about your fit with the theorists in school B. Why don't you get more specific?

Edited by Tan

I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of the department; you'll be doing the vast majority of your graduate study within your subfield.

On a different note, larger theory sections are generally better places to study theory. Which two schools are you considering? I think I have a decent gauge of the relative strength of theory programs - feel free to PM me.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by interista

Depending on the outlook of the quantitatively-oriented faculty, it is possible that rejecting quantitative methods in principle will set you up for difficulties in a quant-heavy department, particularly if there are quantitative requirements for all students and any course taken outside your subfield will be quant-oriented. Theorists in particular stand to benefit from some coursework in the more established subfields, but if you feel that the faculty teaching those courses will be hostile to you or demand a very high level of statistical competence that would make the courses impossible, then you will miss out on this opportunity. Can you find out anything about the relationship between the theorists and the other faculty? Do they respect one another's work, or is there smoldering enmity between them? Keep in mind also that the faculty's attitudes may be shared or amplified by the grad students, and if the theory contingent is small and embattled, you may find yourself socially and intellectually isolated among your cohort (or, alternately, you may discover the intense camaraderie of enlistment in the defense of the tiny platoon again the Leviathan of social science). It's hard to say more than that without knowing which department you're referring to, but these are general issues to consider.

what beebly says is in tune with what i've heard from theory folks at nyu, which is known for its heavily quantitative focus, for example. the theory students who seem to be thriving, and particularly those who are content, at nyu are not afraid of quantitative analysis and actually like it. they will be the first to tell you that enrolling in their program if you balk at the thought of doing quantitative work is a recipe for disaster. before you make a final decision, talk to as many of the theory students in the departments you are considering as possible - particularly those who are on the market. you should get a much clearer picture of departmental dynamics for theorists (and the currently impossible job market) that way. good luck!